1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

buying a used plow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by B430, Nov 1, 2008.

1. B430

B430 Junior Member

any advice on what to look for? what to watch out for? etc.

i'm looking for a 7.5' plow for my 92 F150.

is it best to buy a complete setup? apart from the wiring and the plow frame can any plow be physically mounted on any truck? like do i just need to find a 7.5' plow that is not too heavy or do i need a specific model for my truck?

these have probobly been answered 100 times, but i'm not having a lot of luck with the search.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Go with a 71/2' Sno-Way. And buy te complete set-up. If you buy 1 part at a time it will cost ALOT more then a complete set-up. No matter what brand.

3. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

X2 ..buy a complete set-up...

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

5. B430

B430 Junior Member

most of the plows i see advertised in my area are fishers any reason not to get one of those?

6. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

One of the first things to look for is dealer support in your area.

Then look at any plow you look at and note the condition it is in, each plow has points that wear faster than the others.

Its cheaper in the long run to buy a complete setup rather than piece by piece.

There is nothing wrong with fisher plows, just might be what is more common in your area.

Check your local dealers, they sometimes take in old setups for trade towards new ones.

Reason alot will say go with a snow way is because they tend to be lighter and have the down pressure system which is great for back dragging.

Alot of your decision should also be placed around what you plan on doing with it. Like private use or commercial, and if commercial, residental only or are you going to be doing parking lots.....

7. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

You see a fair number of Fishers listed because the Northeast (among other parts of the country) is BIG Fisher country. They are phenominal plows and work like an animal.

Like others have said, purchasing a whole setup works better financially, and you KNOW all the components match.

8. hawk29

hawk29 Junior Member
    from Sw ohio

I like my meyer and bought it used w/ no issues in 3 years, alot on here like fisher. Make sure you buy complete setup it will save you alot of time and money vs piece by piece