1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

buying a used plow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Scenic Lawnscape, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape Senior Member

are the savings worth it to buy a used plow? Im talking the whole thing mount wiring blade etc?

I'm considering getting back into plowing but the price of a new plow is a little pricey

So I need some input. I havent got the truck yet but im most likely going to get a 2000 -2003 f-250 or f-350 extended cab auto diesel and I want to get into a v-plow

any input would be awesome

thanks

2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

You know that's a tough question to answer considering the fact you don't say what make/model of plow you want to get and what the price is.

I think I saw a guy on here yesterday say he got a 1 yr old plow for $2600 when a new one would cost $1000-$1500 more. Most people would consider that a good deal. I think if you look around you'll see that there are some good deals to be had on new as well as used.

3. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape Senior Member

I wasn't being to specific just trying to get a ruff idea

4. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I bought a used plow for my 98. I couldn't see spending say $4-5k on a plow when my truck is only worth about that. I bought a complete setup (mount, wiring, plow, etc) off a truck similar to mine so that was very helpful. I have $1300 in my plow and it works just as good as my bosses $5k plow. Sure, your taking a risk that the pump and motor are good and that the cylinders are all good but if you look them over good there isn't much left to chance. My plow was bought off here from a member about 2.5-3hrs away over the phone, talking to a person gives you a good idea on the condition your "item" is in, (now I sound like one of those craigslist scammers :D) and how they take care of their stuff. Also if you do find one online that is not close to home ask for as many pictures as you feel the need, if I was going to make say $3k off something I sold I'd be willing to take some pictures for the buyer to look at. The best way would to see it operational in person before money changes hands but that's not always possible.

5. festerw

festerw Senior Member

If you can find one off of the same model it's a deal, however if you buy one with mounts for a different truck you could end up paying much more than you anticipated on everything to make it fit.

6. Lifted4x4Astro

Lifted4x4Astro Senior Member

I picked up my 2004 8.5' EZ-V used last spring for $1400. It had all the correct mounts and wiring for my truck. a new 8.5' V plow is over $5k so, yeah, a used plow is worth getting for the money savings.

7. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Look at it this way. Steel is steel (figuratively..except China steel) and simple hydraulics and some lights. That is about it. Most of the used stuff needs some TLC..paint/wiring and layout. It is the time you want to spend to bring the used plow up to your standards.
    T.J.

8. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

$1400 for used V is an unheard of deal. Especially with all the proper hardware.

9. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

x2, who'd you steal it from?

10. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Shop now while plow prices are cheaper.....wait a month or so and the prices will go up.JMP

11. Lifted4x4Astro

Lifted4x4Astro Senior Member

Not stolen and no worries about it. The plow was complete and included ALL the proper wiring, push plates and Fishstik controller. It helps to buy in spring when a guy is gonna be having another baby very soon! He also owns a body shop and did plow commercially for a few years. The plow is in awesome shape though.

12. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

You suck :angry:

:D Congrats on the purchase, sounds like you got a killer deal.

13. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

most of the v plows are costing up wards of 6000 because of the cost of steel

14. Jaspell

Jaspell Member
    from 06117

My Experience

I bought and 8' MM with snow foil and steel cutting edge in very good shape that I found on Craigslist and paid 1000 cash. Hartford (CT) truck equipment says they will mount it and rig it for $680. That seems pretty good to me.

Good luck.

15. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

and i though that i got a good deal on a half year old boss v. guy bought it in 3/07 and i bought it in 9/07. came with everything mount, wireharness, controller, and plow. best part is that all i had to do was plug it into my truck and test it. i already have a boss so it worked off of my harnessand mount.