1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buying a Used Jeep

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by northernnewbie, Apr 3, 2007.

1. northernnewbie

northernnewbie Member

So my wife wants a convertible and a 4X4 and I want another vehicle that can plow so I'm now in the market for a newish :rolleyes: used Jeep Wrangler. The dealership where I bought my truck has three '02 Wranglers all with 60k miles and manual I-6's. Looking to trade in an '02 Jetta (60k miles and awesome condition) and kick in a couple of grand to close the deal. Questions:
    1. Is my proposed deal realistic (jetta + $2K=Sweet Jeep) keeping in mind that I've been to this dealership before and they do have three of the same vehicle, all past factory warranty.
    2. Any recommendations on the plow? I plan to use it on 20-30 small res.driveways. Is there anything good under 2 grand?
    3. Any comments on the '02 Wrangler?
    4. Will 16" rims fit on a Wrangler....basically can I switch wheels with my truck?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2007
  2. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Possibly, depending on how much the Jetta will bring in on trade, 02 Wranglers go for anywhere from 12-18k here.

You'll have to go used Snoway, Curtis, Blizzard and older Fisher/Western Sport Utility Plows.

Basically bulletproof, with their share of fun gremlins like every other Jeep.

The bolt pattern is 5 on 4.5, depending on backspacing and bolt pattern they may fit.

3. northernnewbie

northernnewbie Member

Great answers, thanks festerw!:drinkup:

4. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

I stated plowing w/a JEEP many Yrs Ago a 59 & it Did Good JOB w/a 7 ft Fisher 6 cyl Hurricane I plowed some Big Lots w/ Heavy Snow! in Second Gear! w/ NO! Problems! it was Short & would GO any where! sure DID the JOB! I also had several JEEP pick Ups that Plowed Good I Dono? about the Late Models? as I have Never Owned ONE! but they have to be Better? So I woudn*t Hesitate in Buying ONE! if? the Price? or Trade was in My Budget? GOOD LUCK--OleTower--

5. northernnewbie

northernnewbie Member

Found a '01 4 cyl 5 speed that I can do an even trade for using the '02 Jetta. Carfax comes up clean and it looks good underneath . The downsides are it comes with no warranty and crappy little tires. If it stands up to a hard test drive we might just go with this one instead of a newer X model.

6. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

where in the northeast are you??

7. AmericanHandymn

AmericanHandymn Junior Member

Do you really want to even attempt to plow with a 4cyl :eek:

8. Mainer

Mainer Junior Member
    from Maine

I just picked up an 04 wrangler x. has the strait 6 in it. seems to have plenty of power.
    i think a 6 would be the way to go. I plan on getting a plow for it as soon as i role up my pennies from getting the jeep.LOL

My friend had a wagoner with the 4 banger. said it was under powered. But they have changed over the years. Might be all right if it was a couple of drive ways..

My 2 cents. cause thats all i got. dam jeep got all my dollars...LOL

9. jonzer12

jonzer12 Member
    from Canada

If you work your jeep make sure you buy a 4.0. 4 bangers have quite a bit lower resale value, and get the same mileage. Also you have to potential of a Dana 44 rear axle with a 4 litre jeep.

Make sure you get a 2001+ if you plan on using the softtop as it is sailcloth and much improved over earlier designs. The NV3550 shifts like a truck so find a newer 6spd if you want car like shifting (5 speed is much beefer tranny tho). All with have 231 transfercases.
    Try to find 3:73 gears also if you plan on plowing doing any utility with it. 3.07 are terrible.

10. northernnewbie

northernnewbie Member

Update:

Got a lil 4 banger and holy **** I've never loved a vehicle like I love this thing. In the three weeks I've owned it I went to every nook and cranny of Waldo, Penobscot and Knox County. Rolled up boulders and blueberry fields and rolled down through bogs my wife :cry: crying the whole way your gonna get it stuck your gonna get it stuck. Every little footpath I've ever thought of going up is now notched on my belt. :cool:

I got an even trade with the Jetta for a 2000 70,000 mile Wrangler w/ soft top. U-joints need work but I expected that. Flushed all the fluids and found 80w90 in the transfer case :angry: The good news is that its getting 22mpg....same as my Jetta.

I'm going to put a light duty poly plow on it and use it to plow the smaller downtown driveways that get thrown my way. The plan is to keep the Jeep downtown, plowing with the storm, and pushing it all to one end for the truck to finish off at the end of the storm.

I'm looking to trade for a hard top if anyone is interested. I've got a tandem sea kayak with all accessories included for any Jeepers who might like paddling. I could also part with a one seat sea kayak and some $. payup