1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

buying a truck with a contractor box on it

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sirsweatsalot, Dec 27, 2002.

1. sirsweatsalot

sirsweatsalot Banned
    from MN

im looking at buying a truck with a contractor box on it and hoist... i was wondering if i could take to contractor box off and put a flat bed on and still have a hoist? would this be posible and/or would this be a lot of money and a waste of time.
    thanks!

2. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Does the hoist mount to the bed or is it a custom unit sitting on the tool boxes?Either way a little fab work and there shouldn't be a problem.

3. sirsweatsalot

sirsweatsalot Banned
    from MN

it mounts to the bed. there or no tool boxes on it its more like a landscape bed i guess with the tail gate and two sides that fold down.

4. Arc Burn

When you take it off,pay attention to the way it is supported underneath,on top mount it is plated and braced inside the toolbox,i would assume this is braced off the frame and you wouldn't notice losing any bed space in a contractor body because it's already narrow but if you braced off the frame on a flat bed you would tie up some room,maybe not?

5. sirsweatsalot

sirsweatsalot Banned
    from MN

here's a pic of it

plow truck.jpg

6. Arc Burn

I see,I see,I had pictured a different box,anyways properly braced you should have no problem.

7. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Well if i was you and i was going to change over bodies i would sell the the dump body with hoist as a package deal then just get a new one with a flatbed .Then you start out fresh with new hoist for your new bed.The flatbeds are chaep compared to the one that you have on it now.

8. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Up here we call that body a mason dump

Contractor bodies are usually utility bodies with lots of compartmenst for tools

9. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Yup, we call it a mason dump here too (in fact, someone asked what a mason dump was in another thread).

Why would you want to change it to a flat bed? In a way, it already is a flat bed, only better. By thatI mean the sides fold down, and are removable. The tailgate folds down, and is removable. The cab protector is worth more than you can imagine, compare to a flatbed. Remove the tailgate and sides, and you have a sturdy flat bed.

Remember, in the event of an accident, whatever you have on the bed better be secured well, or it will go flying into the back of the cab, and could be fatal. I would rather have the cab protector on the mason dump body than nothing, or something not as strong.

~Chuck

10. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

And here I am wanting something like that to replace my flatbed:( .

11. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Mick maybe you guys should swap. I would keep the dump myself.

12. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Up here in Maine we just call um 1 ton dumps.

Geoff

13. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Geoff, what if the dump is on a 450/550?? LOL
    is it now a 2 ton dump
    Dino

14. sirsweatsalot

sirsweatsalot Banned
    from MN

well thanks for the advice im thinking i might just keep that bed on there. BUt i might just get the whole thing blasted primed painted... i guess it is a pretty sweet deal. my dad pointed out being that i woud be useing if for chemicals for lawns in the summer it would be better for getting the last bit of liquid out of it and a snap for cleaning it... as well as 101 other uses that might come up in the future. Mason dump huh, i like 1 ton dump.
    thanks

15. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

i would keep the mason dump.you can do alot more with it.like install a tailgate sander.i've made some nice leaf boxes for those dumps,but yes a flat bed is easier to make.more places to mount strobes to.plus the cab protector is the way to go.

16. sirsweatsalot

sirsweatsalot Banned
    from MN

yeah mike i was wondering about a leaf box for it i suppose you don't have a pics off one you have seen or made?

17. Arc Burn

Do a search here on that topic,Pelican built a kickaxx leaf picker/box for his truck with a bunch of pictures.