1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buying a truck this year

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by V12Kid, Feb 29, 2016.

1. V12Kid

V12Kid Junior Member

Greetings to all from the DMV ( District, Maryland, Virginia)

I figured I post here to get some feedback. Here is my situation. I run a mobile detailing operation and have outgrown my current rig. To accommodate my trailer I am considering a Dodge 1500 or a 2500 quad cab. My main needs are light weight pulling as my rig weighs less than 1/5 ton.

The idea is to buy a truck that will serve my primary business and then be able to supplement in the winter with light to mid sized plow/removal work. We don't get a lot of snow with this year being the exception so I know the work will be intermittent.

I have shop keepers insurance and can add whatever I need for this side of the operation. Just thinking out loud and would love to hear your insight.

Thanks!Thumbs Up

matt

2. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

2500 series truck for sure. Quad cab might be to big if you are doing residential driveways. Welcome to Plow Site.

3. Snow Commandor

Snow Commandor Senior Member
    from 07666

Welcome aboard. I'm a huge fan of 2500 series trucks although you may be able to get by with a 1500. A quadcab is nice if you carry lots of cargo that needs to be protected from the elements. But if u go that route (quadcab) be sure to go with a shortbed configuration. Good luck & keep us posted.

4. V12Kid

V12Kid Junior Member

I was favoring the short bed as well, good call.

5. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

I've got a '13 Crew Cab 2500. I wouldn't go quad cab again. Too tight in the back seats for passengers of any size. I do commercial work, so size isn't an issue, but I also do quite a few driveways for friends when I'm done with my route. I've never had a real problem of it being too big even for residential. I wouldn't even consider a half-ton for plowing.

6. Snow Commandor

Snow Commandor Senior Member
    from 07666

Imo any crewcab or quadcab with an 8 foot bed is just not practical. Besides being a pita to park, they have a horrible turning radius. Having a nice compact turning radius means everything when it comes to plowing.

7. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

What is your current tow vehicle? Your only towing 3000lbs.

8. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

Must be too early, wouldn't 1/5 ton be 400 lbs? You could put that in a trunk of a car. Maybe I read it wrong, or my math is a bit off.

9. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

:laughing: :laughing: My bad, I was thinking 1 1/2 ton. How do you out grow 400lbs? What are you rained out? Maybe it's a trick ? :eek:

10. ktfbgb

ktfbgb Senior Member

Nope you're right. 1/5 ton is 400lbs. I've never even seen an empty trailer that is that light.

11. V12Kid

V12Kid Junior Member

Holy Typo batman! I meant 1/2 ton lol

Current rig is base don a tiny Nitro and its mainly used to haul my gear internally which is not a lot to begin with. The trailer is coming this year as well as the business is growing hence the need for a dedicated truck.

I want the quad cab to help keep things inside the vehicle that I don't feel comfortable riding outside or being exposed etc. It's not a 100% requirement but a nice to have

12. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

I did detailing we put a bakflip on my truck. Was going to put a sliding bed in but never got around to it. I was young and didn't want a cap then.

13. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Okay so towing is not a issue, You still only have 1000lbs. which most cars can handle. Just get any 1/2tn truck you want with with a 7'6 plow. You want to run a 9' + plow get a 3/4tn. or 1tn. You want any extra cab in any truck get the 6' box.

14. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Only 1,000lbs to tow, and the need to keep some stuff out of sight? Buy an older Cherokee and mount a plow on it. No need for a pickup at all, and the Cherokee serves both purposes. Done.

15. SHAWZER

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

Go with 2500 Quad - cab short box .

16. royalrooter77

royalrooter77 Junior Member

Just wondering why everyone leans towards a 2500 and not a 3500. Is it just price?

17. racingmt

racingmt Member

A 2500 is more than capable of plowing and towing. Unless you need the towing capacity and or payload capacity why spend more $$ on a 3500? Ya gotta draw a line somewhere, different trucks for different purposes. If this was a heavy hauling or towing thread I would understand the push for the 3500. Not to mention many 3500 series are found with DRW which can kill your turning radius for small area plowing.

18. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Alot of them are the same with a different weight rating and an extra leaf spring or two. Very little difference. Around here it's only a couple hundred dollars

19. racingmt

racingmt Member

They have a different weight rating due to some different axel/suspension and hubs/bearing parts that can handle the increased load. Similar truck but not the same. But the killer is the turning radius, especially the DRW

20. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

No. Hubs are the same. Same for the brakes. With the exception of drw. 99% of the time

The only thing that might be different is a full floater / semi floater. But that depends more on engine choice it seems like

It's funny an 08 450 will turn tighter than a 350