1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buying a truck: F150 or F250/350

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by jonathan, Dec 22, 2009.

1. jonathan

jonathan Junior Member
    from BC

Okay, here's the deal, I'm in the market for a used truck but on a bit of a budget, so I have 3 options I'm looking at right now:

1. Buy a newer F150 (2008ish) with the 5.4

2. Buy a bit older F250 (2007ish) with the 5.4

3. Buy a bit older F350 with a diesel (either the 7.3 or 6.0, 200-2005)

I'm currently doing small jobs plowing with an atv and want to get into bigger stuff next year. So with that in mind, what do you think is my best option?

2. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Buy a older 250 or 350. I would look for a low millage 95-03 with a 7.3. They are getting harder to find in good shape but you can. My friend just made a deal on a 02 excab shortbox 250 xlt with 41k miles. Very good shape for $17,500.
    Robert

3. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

out of your choices I would get a F250/350 with a 7.3. You could get by with a F150 but if your in it for the long haul you will want something a little stronger.

4. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

Go for the 250/350 with the 7.3

5. jonathan

jonathan Junior Member
    from BC

Yeah, I'm starting to hear some really good things about the 7.3

6. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

7.3 is the way to go for a strong reliable work truck, the 03+ 6.0's are garbage! I know quite a few guys with 7.3's they love them.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

7. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

The 7.3 will run along time with basic maintenance; maintenance records are great if you can obtain them. Check for clean oil, clean air and fuel filters. Around 100K+-:drinkup: the tranny will most likely need to be rebuilt depending on how the truck was worked. Go through it complete before you buy. Good Luck.

8. JPLTrucking

JPLTrucking Member

+1 for the 7.3 :nod:

9. jonathan

jonathan Junior Member
    from BC

I know this depends a lot on maintenance of the truck (and personal preference) but what would you consider okay mileage for a 2000ish F350 with 7.3? Anything less than 15,000miles/yr?

10. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Don't worry about miles per year. I would stick with under 100k, Now before people start bashing me I know the motors will last well over 300k but the rest of the truck starts to nickle and dime you. Not sure what your wanting to spend but if you look you can find a very clean truck with around 75k miles for under 17,000
    Robert

11. jonathan

jonathan Junior Member
    from BC

Yeah, I wanted to keep it under $20k. That's the thing that keeps getting me about a bit older trucks - the engine might still be good and strong, but it's everything else that ends up costing you money....

12. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Try to find one in good shape w/about 150K that has had the trans rebuilt.

13. TommyMac

TommyMac Senior Member

Question do you tow a bobcat....If not get the 5.4 it's a great reliable motor with plenty of balls for plowing & towing occasionally

14. jonathan

jonathan Junior Member
    from BC

Not currently, but I was thinking about it a few years down the road.

15. TommyMac

TommyMac Senior Member

Go for the diesel if it's in your budget....5.4 will do it just fine but everyone seems to think diesel is the only motor:laughing:

16. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

How many miles a year will you drive this truck?

17. piperpm

piperpm Member

It all depends on what kind of plowing you are looking at getting into.... We do almost all residential with a few small commercial (small bank lots etc.) and run the F-150 5.4 with an Air-Flo 7.5'... runs very well and the 5.4 offers plenty of pushing power even in the heavy snows. Throw on some Timbrens or a heavier spring and you're good to go. If you are looking to get into more commercial runs with longer pushes, step up to the 250/350. Good luck!

18. ross3031

ross3031 Senior Member

Keeping it under 20K will not be a problem, you can find an 02 or older with a 7.3L in great condition without a problem under 20K. You can even find an 05 or 06 6.0L for under that (NO 03-04 6.0L. an 05+ with an EGR delete is still a good motor.) the way it sounded you were just looking for a work truck and not one to hop up, 7.3L would be my choice too then. Like its been said, one of the most durable and long lasting motors available and will pull anything it legally should (and plenty that is overweight :nod:) Guess its just my personal preference but i prefer a hand shaker, cheaper option on the truck, cuts down on a little maintenance, and usually only need to replace a clutch when something goes bad and not a whole tranny

My truck is far from stock now but i did buy it completely stock about a year and a half ago. had 115K on it and i got it out the door for 10K (believe it blue book'd for just under 12K though)

19. smoore45

smoore45 Senior Member

You also may want to consider an 05-07 F250/350 V10. Great motor and should be within the budget you mentioned.

20. CarharttComando

CarharttComando Junior Member
    from MI

Having had fleet trucks in all the categories you listed, go for the 98-02 250-350 with 7.3 powerstroke, the older back to 95 powerstrokes are great as well but the 98 or better superduty's will give you certain specific creature comforts like trailer tow mirrors, and more comfortable interiors that you will definitly want if you spend a lot of time in the truck, in addition they seem to have better over all visability especially for plowing also try and find one with a manual 4x4 engagment (floor lever) non electronic..my cousin is a senior diesel tech @ a ford dealership locally and swears the 99' model year7.3 is the best overall year for the international built powerstroke..fyi. good luck