1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buying a single stage snow thrower

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SLS007, Nov 7, 2009.

1. SLS007

SLS007 Junior Member

I'm looking at adding a single stage snow thrower because I need something small and light that I can lift in and out of the back of the truck for light snowfalls. I've narrowed it down to a Simplicity 522E and the Toro 221. The Simplicity is a 4 stroke B&S and the Toro is a 2 stroke. One of the advantages of buying the Simplicity is that I can get it at a local small engine shop (3 mins from home) who would provide all my service on it. The Toro would come from Home Depot so service and warranty could be an aggravation. The price on both is virtually the same. Has anyone tried either of these out? Is there a significant performance difference between a 4 stroke and a 2 stroke? I know Simplicity makes great mowers but I don't know much about their snow equipment.
    Thanks, Rick

2. Exact Services

Exact Services Senior Member

I own the 221Q model with the quick shoot system. It is very fast and productive on double width driveways and walks. And I mean lighting fast. As soon as you engage the lever it pulls forward. I almost don't want my customers to see me use it since it looks so easy. They will think it only took you a few minutes and I'm paying this much...?

Not that I have any experience with the Simplicity but that rotational hand crank looks potentially very poky slow and the risk of it getting it bent or damaged ....? I went to the simplicity web site and it say it weighs 93 pounds with the Brigs 4 stroke. Toro is right at 74#. If your lifting it over the side of a bed of truck due to a salter at the rear. I do mostly residential driveways with snowblowers and even the slightly lighter weight of the 221 over the 4 stroke 421 Toro gets noticeable.

The draw back of the quick shoot system is that the cables can freeze up on you locking the shoot in fixed position. It happened to me twice last winter. I'm hoping I can use cable lube, WD40, etc. to chase the water out so it doesn't happen again. Other than that I believe they are the faster single stage blowers on the market.

The non quick shoot Toro where you reach over are still probably faster than the hand Simplicity crank but that is just my suspicion.

3. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

keep this in mind, i was told by a toro rep that all the two stroke products are on there way out, i can't even order the toro 221 anymore through a homedepot, they are going to a 4 stroke engine, and the weight is in that 90-100lbs

4. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

I have had very good luck over the years with Toro. Ran a CCR model for 10+ years and purchased a 2450 last season.

5. Exact Services

Exact Services Senior Member

Yes the older Toros have the 2-stroke Tecumseh [proven engine] and yes it is lighter by a few pound over the newer Toro's at just 71 pounds.

6. SLS007

SLS007 Junior Member

Thanks for the good points. I had not thought about the rotational hand crank being somewhat slower but I guess that's really not much different from a two-stage machine. I wondered about how that Toro sliding system would work when it gets all iced up. Even if they weigh 100 pounds with fuel in them it's a whole lot better than wrestling with a bigger two-stage machine. I tried that last winter and I'm not doing that again. I don't have a sander on my truck so I've just got to lift it up onto the tailgate. I would love to try these out in some snow to see how they perform but we've only had one snowfall here in Winnipeg in early October and nothing since then. It feels more like September right now. I should be able to get my hands on the Simplicity in the next couple days to take a closer look before making a decision.
    Rick

7. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Toro 150% .... Have a small 16" power curve model which has had a horrible life. Fell out of the truck at 35 miles per hour 2x's same night and lived in the v bed salter after that. This will be its 7th season!!!! In fact spent some time and cleaner her up with some rocker guard and lots of black paint.

As for parts you will only need the rubber paddels and fuel line/bulb. Great little units!!

8. SLS007

SLS007 Junior Member

Well that is some kind of torture test. I hope never to have to try that. Maybe I can send you some rope to prevent future mishaps like that.
    I like your trucks. I picked a a 2006 Dodge 2500 4X4 this summer and I really like it. It lived a rough life before I got it but $2,000 later I think I've got it in ship shape for the winter. Ready for a plow.