1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buying a plow, comments re: curtis, diamond/meyer, fisher

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by RKay, Dec 14, 2003.

1. RKay

RKay Junior Member

Buying a plow for Chev 2500 HD. Looking for comparison and/or comments regarding brands: Curtis, Diamond/Meyer, Fisher. Mostly concerned with quality.

2. lawnkid

lawnkid Senior Member

Just got home from plowing with the new Curtis on boss's truck all morning and going out again to do cleanup in about an hour. Anyway, the curtis is a nice unit to plow with. There are two dislikes I have for it. One, is that the hydraulic system is pretty close to the ground and after plowing all night, a lot of ice and slush builds up in there. Second, when hooking up the plow, you have to be almost perfectly aligned to hitch it on or else you gotta get someone else out there and help you lock down the pins. But otherwise it is a very nice plow.

3. RKay

RKay Junior Member

Thanks. Very helpful. I was concerned with those items on Curtis. Convenience is an issue.

4. legoconstruct

legoconstruct Junior Member

iv been doing commercial snow remval for 14 years tyhe best plows i have had are the total hydralic plows , no electric
    they are harder to find and should be chaeper to buy and install.
    these plows will never i repeat never breakdown or freeze up.

5. whitetail

whitetail Junior Member

I have a GMC 2500 HD with a 8' 6" Fisher EZ-V and a 7' 6" fisher RD that I use as a backup plow. The RD is 8 years old with no problems and plowed evey storm up until this year when I went with the V Plow. I have found that the minute mount I and minute mount II both work exactly as described and the quality of the Fisher plows are excellent. The only breakdowns that I have had are a ruptured hose and a corroded electrical connection (my fault not the plow). I had Western plows before 1995 and they also worked flawlessly. The only reason I switched to Fisher was the trip edge design instead of the full trip.