1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buying a newer truck...Need Advice!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by snowman88, Oct 15, 2010.

1. snowman88

snowman88 Junior Member

Hello all,

I've been reading the posts and threads on here for the last couple years, and its been very helpful. I need some advice now as my business has expanded and it's time to upgrade and buy a second truck,. I'm considering to use this truck for both plowing and salting, but unsure on what I need in order to get the job done.

First of all, is it better to have a short or long box for a salter, I know guys that use both, but is it better to have a long box, if i had a choice.

Also need to know if a 3/4 ton or 1 ton is better....or even a dually for that matter.

This truck is going to be used for my commercial contracts, no res....Im saving the res for my 1/2 ton Chev. I've decided to go with a Blizzard 810 power plow....and still undecided on the salt spreader.

Any advice would be very appreciated.

Thanx

2. brycam

brycam Junior Member
    from Canada

Id go on the blizzard website and see what trucks they recomend for that plow.

3. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I think you already said it. It sounds like you need a 1 ton dually.

4. snowman88

snowman88 Junior Member

The local Blizzard and Western dealers both suggested using a 1 ton would be better in the long run....however they both told me that a dually is not necessary and that i'd be okay with srw.

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

longbed, 1 ton and SRW

6. Tracy89

Tracy89 Senior Member
    from Maine

If your plowing and sanding a long wheel base (i.e crew cab long bed truck) is going to distribute the weight a little better but with the longer wheel base u lose mobility. a dually will also help with the weight of the sander. Ive been told in the past that a 2500HD is the equivilent of a 3500 or damn close....i dont no the hard core fax on that. But realize that having a 3500 is not going to hurt anything. It all comes down to how much of a bill you want to foot in hopes that you will get a good return on your investment.

7. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Ford F-350 Extended Cab/Long Bed SRW.

8. snowman88

snowman88 Junior Member

I was thinking of getting a Ford F-350 crew cab....still debating on SRW or DRW.

9. Tracy89

Tracy89 Senior Member
    from Maine

If you are looking at a truck like that then i wouldnt worry about the wieght of the sander...It should handle it just fine. as well as the plow at the same time. might suggest getting some timbrens or whatever they are called.

10. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

That is a big truck to plow with. I'm not saying you can't do it but, a regular cab would be alot better for plowing. My friend had a 1989 Ford F-350 crew cab DRW and that thing was a pain just driving in town.

11. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

Here's the thing, if you're going to be doing just commercial accounts, you want a truck that is capable of doing the job yet still be able to turn and not need the length of a football field to do so. You're going to want a long bed truck as you're going to want to be able to salt/sand your lots without having to go back and reload every lot. With all that in mind, ideally, you want at least a 3/4 ton truck but a 1 ton would be better to carry the weight of a plow and a sander. I would also keep it as a regular cab. Timberins are a must so as not to bottom out your suspension and have an expensive break. If it is possible, I would go for a Dual rear wheel as it will distribute the weight better. Keep in mind, a truck with a full load of sand is very top heavy.

Now, what to get for a truck. Many here have said Ford, some say Chevy. Personally, I used to be a Chevy man until they went with IFS back in 1988. I'm now a Dodge guy. Regardless of what you decide, Dodge, Chevy, Ford, they're all decent trucks in the long run, it's all in how you maintain them.

If a DRW truck isn't with your budget at the moment, you can always convert it over at a later date. I have done this with trucks in the past and I'll tell you first hand, it's made a world of difference. Below is just an example of one of the conversion kits out there.

http://www.southwestwheel.com/dodgeconverion.htm

12. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

Not really, I've plowed with a CC/SB before and I actually prefer it for the weight distribution, noting of course that I don't have a salter. There is no way in hell I would plow with a CC/LB though, especially with a leaf sprung truck.

OP, also note which year you are thinking of, because most 99-04 Crew Cab diesels and Extended Cab diesels cannot run larger plows without running over the FGAWR. This changed in 05 with coil sprung front ends.

13. snowman88

snowman88 Junior Member

Thanks for all of the replies so far....its been very helpful.

I think I'll be fine with regards to the FGAWR, as Im shopping around for F-350's in the 2006-08 range.
    I think that going with a 1 ton truck is a better option for me considering that I'll be doing both plowing/salting with it.

The weight distribution was a concern of mine and I think that a 1 ton would hold the weight much better. I didn't consider mobility being an issue, but thanks for the tips, cuz its something to keep in mind....maybe going with an ext cab would be better than the crew. Also getting a long box makes alot more sense, as i dont want to be wasting time with too many trips to the depot.

I have found some good deals in my area for 06-07 f-350's, but I've heard that these 6.0L diesels have the potential for some serious problems....for that reason, im now starting to look at the 08 models and the 6.4L, a bit more money, but atleast i wont be worrying about some costly breakdown....also, a buddy of mine suggested to go with a gas engine...not sure if its better or worse, maybe just his personal preference, but looking into this option as well.

Thanks again

14. Dlongerman

Dlongerman Senior Member
    from IL

2011 F450 dump bed with Western Wide-Out with a snow-ex salter tailgate

OR

2011 F350 ext cab long bed Western Wide-Out with a snow ex 8500 V box

15. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

if you have the money buy the dump, you can use it year round for landscaping (you do that right??)

16. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Ford F-350 Powerstroke for me. A wideout on the front would be like awesome.

17. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

oh geez another gas vs diesel debate :drinkup: I know there is a HUGE thread on here about that somewhere.. I have read it several times haha but yeah IMO go with the diesel. My father and I both started out plowing with gas engines, but now we do not own a gas engine, all diesels. WAY better in every category, again IMO. if you get a dump with a gas engine it will be VERY underpowered, not my opinion but a fact :laughing:
    You will also burn through a lot more fuel in the gas than in the diesel engine.

But then again, in a huge diesel fan, id never plow with a gas engine again unless i had to

18. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

:rolleyes:

Somebody obviously didn't read the marathon thread. Ford has a dirty little secret up there sleeve, and it might just have 10 cylinders.

19. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

true.. but then it comes to the gas mileage factor, you can practically see the needle move down every time you accelerate with those things :laughing:

20. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

Not this sh!t again...

Now I know you didn't read that thread. Fuel mileage will not pay for the cost of a diesel alone.