1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buying a new/used plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by tsmith821, Aug 24, 2004.

1. tsmith821

tsmith821 Junior Member

I'm thinking of buying a plow this winter and don't want to spend too much cash. It seems for a new plow I'd be looking at around $3000. This is going to be my first season and wondering if you can make that back pretty easily? Also, would it be worth it to buy a used plow, and if so what might be a rough price range and what should I look out for?
  2. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

3. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

if you have a 1/2 assed idea on what to look for and can work on things(have the knowledge, tools, place) buying a used blade can work out.

May look into being a sub for another contractor for the first year. JMO

Also dont ever count on making x$ plowing snow. You need to be able to handle making 0$ in case you have a bad year. plowing can be very unpredicatble, sometimes good sometimes bad.
  4. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

I'm a firm believer that junk makes money....so I dont buy much new. I have 2 X blades and they dont plow any better then my old yello plows. If you look around and keep you ears open there are some deals out there. I bought a 9' fisher hydraulic minute mount not the electric one for 600$ also picked up a 1 year old boss v plow for 500$ with no truck side. All the morons that lost their butts last year will be selling their plows, and usualy let em go cheap when they see green. There's a lot of people out there that dont know what they have or what it's worth.

I bought probably 10 plows for what I spent on my two x blades...fishers are nice because the parts interchange easy except for the truck frame. Then again boy it was something to have everything brand new on a pallet in front of me when we bought the x blades. it's up to you but a 1000$ is a lot easier to make back then 4k and you can get a good used plow for for a grand if you're patient and look around, winters a few months away, if you havent found one by say October the dealer will still have new ones.