1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buying a new truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by birddseedd, Dec 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

I think its time to give the dodge to my wife. finally get the intermediate shaft fixed on one side, the cv axle blew out on the other side and took the intermediate shaft with it. Drove out of town for the parts, and fixed it myself today. That said. I need something bigger, i'v outgrown the half ton.

Now, before I show the one im looking at, I know others have said that I should not get a diesel because of the cost of repair is higher. This may be true, obviously. But I have considered this information, and decided what is best for me. There is a great deal on a 1 ton gas, even comes with an ultra mount. But the fact is gas engines burn out in just a few hundred thousand miles. The cost of that repair, means a new truck. Sure you can rebuild or buy a used motor, but at that point, the truck simply won't be worth it. Where with a diesel, yes ill pay more through the years for the average repair, but it really isnt much more. The fuel system can go out on a gas the same, glow plugs last longer than spark plugs, it needs 3 times fewer oil changes so that one kinda evens out.

but my deciding factor, You have to rebuild a gas engine every 300k at best. these trucks will approach a million miles before needing an overhaul. At that point its worth a rebuild. You simply get more value for your dollar with a diesel.

but don't think i have not listened to your advice. I got arguments on each side of the decision and made the choice for myself. besides, i can make my own fuel for much cheaper. My mechanic said he would even buy it.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/cto/4189941523.html

oh, also, if i get a unimount, my mechanic will sell me a 9' for 500 bucks. in great shape.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  2. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

Honestly, this trucks motor will last longer but with 307k already on the clock I sure wouldn't hang a plow off it and call it my main plow rig. How many miles are you driving a year? You can buy a used gas truck with less than 100k on the odo and get 10 years of life out of it, at that point you would want a new truck anyway.

3. birddseedd

4. birddseedd

check the fixed link.

why would there be an issue putting a plow on it? if the engine will last for half a million miles more, the only thing i would have to replace would be suspension, which would be the case gas or diesel.

5. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

Alright that truck isn't as bad. Less miles which is good. I personally wouldn't wouldn't buy a modded truck (tuned) due to it not being the best for the truck overall.

6. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

200k miles of towing his gooseneck on the original trans, have fun. Buying used is always buying someone elses headache, just know that and be prepared for it. Not saying dont, but just be prepared

7. birddseedd

I can always reset back to stock. they actually have a program specific to plowing. although i don't see what good it would do, you don't leave first gear pushing snow.

8. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

Theres no guarantee stamped on a diesel that youre guaranteed a million miles, and there definitely isnt one on the rest of the truck

9. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

How long will it take you to get to 500k miles? At that point the body will be done, tranny will be done, you will be replacing the suspension. At that point you could buy a new truck for the same money. Im not trying to put you down but I can buy a used one ton gas here for 5-6k with less than 100k on the odo and use it for the next 10 years without an issue. Then as everything begins to go you just buy a new one. 20 years and $10-12k sounds pretty economical to me

10. birddseedd

Yea. I learnt that one the hard way. my dodge had around 60k. It lasted 7 days

11. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Can I ask how much you honestly know about a diesel and its internal workings?

12. birddseedd

at the moment im doing about 10k miles a year.

maybe i can think of it this way. im spending 6500 bucks on it. several years from now when its got 400k miles on it and i want a new one....... i can sell it for 6500 bucks. IF a gas lasted that long, it would only be worth a grand at best. which is another reason to go diesel. as long as its not the 6L, it can retain its value. Others were going for the same price at 400k to 500k miles

13. birddseedd

I know two things. The theory behind how they work, and that I don't want to work in them no more than i want to work on a gas.

Im sick of working on vehicles. My mechanic can do anything to them that needs doing.

14. birddseedd

Yea. but you loose so much money when buying new.

15. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

It would take you 17 years to hit 400k miles. Listen to the guys about buying a gas. You don't need a diesel, you need a dependable truck to build around. Start with that, in a few years your next ride can be a diesel. From experience birdman, you will be hard pressed to find a decent diesel for less than 11k......

16. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

The truck will rust away long before the motor goes, buy gas which will get you a newer, lower mile truck than if you went diesel, it's simple math.

17. birddseedd

Shrugs, im 30, i a few more years i won't care what kind i have. Keep in mind this is not "my truck" this is the business truck. even if i get something new, I just pass this to my landscaping crew for a few hundred miles more. in which case (being likely) it will come in quite handy pulling large equipment. if i buy a gas, that will destroy it.

18. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

What large equipment are you pulling?

19. birddseedd

The gas options were the same price and year. if im getting the same price and year i might as well get something that is better.

20. birddseedd

Probably the hardest thing iv done, which i should NEVER HAVE DONE is sod. just a few pallets of sod will max out this truck. a few rolls max out mine.

equipment wise the heaviest is a bobcat. who knows what the future will hold.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.