1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

buying a new truck and plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cntryboymc, Jun 10, 2003.

1. cntryboymc

cntryboymc Member

hello-im in need of a new truck my current truck is a 1995 chevy k2500 wth an 8' diamond plow(good shape for 117,000 miles).i like the chevys and gmcs.ive looked at these but i also get a considerable discount working with ford.i feel there are reliability issues with ford though.i like the setup on the western ultramount plow.pros or cons on any of this?

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Welcome to Plowsite.

All the big three makes pretty good trucks,and they all have problems.Nothing wrong with the Fords,just stay away from the 6.0L Powerstroke until they get the bugs worked out.Test drive a few and see what you like.

The Westerns are good plows,I'm just not a big fan of the new Ultramount.Some of them hang pretty low,and they have a tendancy to come unhooked from the truck.The Uni-mount is a little harder to take on and off,but much more secure.JMHO

Another way to find a lot of good info is to do a Plowsite search,as many people have asked about buying a new truck,and there is a lot of good info.

Good luck in your quest for the new truck,and if you have any more questions,feel free to ask,as you won't get any better advice than here at Plowsite. :waving:

3. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

welcome to plowsite:waving:

I like the 2003 Dodge and Ford better than the 2003 chevy. All trucks are reliable if they are well taking care of. you should look at all of the 3 trucks above and do research on the trucks.

For a plow choice i would have to say Fisher x-blade or Western. these plows are strong and are very reliable. :nod:

4. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I have to agree with Wyldman to do a little research. This question could be answered so many ways. I think it really comes down to a personal choice of a truck that meets your needs.

5. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

I agree with what Wyldman said on staying away from the 6.0 diesel Ford until the bugs are worked out for sure, and Id take a Western UniMount over an UltraMount any day of the week. That UltraMount seems to be able to become unhooked from the truck rather easily. Westerns are great plows, just try to get the UniMount model. Western and Fisher put out great plows for sure. Welcome to PlowSite! :) Mike :waving:

6. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome to Plowsite. :waving:

Here, we have tons of information we have stored in our archieve, so give the SEARCH feature a try. Type in what you are looking into, and most likely you will have plenty of information that has been discussed before.

There are many popular snowplow out there that you could get. But all that depends on your dealer location, and what brand they sells. Fisher, Western, Boss, Diamond, Cirtus, SnoWay, many more. In my opinion, you should look into Fisher and Western, also Boss. I prefer Fisher, because they are well engineered, strong built plows rugged for commercial plowing, and their trip edge. Fisher name is well known as for high quality and dependable snowplows. I do not have experience with Western or Boss, but alot of people seems to be happy with them too.

So again, do a search. You can do search for information on trucks too (all 3 major brands).

7. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Country Boy, I see you're a Ford tech, I'm curious what your reliability concerns are?

8. cntryboymc

cntryboymc Member

reliability concerns reply to pelican

as a ford tech,i like the super dutys.i do worry about if i bought one,the following things:severe exhaust manifold stud rotting on 5.4 v8 and 6.8 v10,ball joint replacements every 30-40k miles,and heavy driveability problems on the 6.0 diesels.these problems are common even for our plowing customers who take care of their trucks.my chevy is a 95 with a 117,000 miles on it and i have done very little with it,that is what i compare it to.

9. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

I like this new guy already. :D A guy who thinks a Chevy truck is better than a Ford truck, my kind of guy. ;) Mike :waving:

10. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

I know some people like one kind of truck better than all the others. I drive a 2001 Chevy 3500 and i love my truck. If i was asked what kind of truck i liked the best i would have to say Ford. I'm not the kind of person to say one truck is better than all the others though. If a truck is well built and well taken care of then it will last a long time. All trucks are good in some way.pumpkin:

11. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

I agree, I was just pokin some fun at the Ford guys here. I think Ford has the best looking trucks out there, but I personally think Chevy is a better truck. I dont know much about the Dodges, but they look real good too and come with nice gas motors and their diesel motor is really good too. A couple of my friends have newer Dodges with no problems yet or complaints. I like them all and I think we all should BUY AMERICAN! Mike :drinkup:

12. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

AMERICAN TRUCKS ALL THE WAY!:drinkup:

13. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I admit I'm not crazy about Ford's gas engines, my friend works at the County Garage where they service the Crown Vic Sheriff's cars, he says the biggest problem they have is the plastic intake manifold leaking and head gaskets. The same engine is in the trucks, correct?

This is fairly new technology, Chevy is having problems with their new motors too. My buddy recently had Chevy buy back his Duramax pickup because of all the engine glitches it had. The 6.0 Ford has been in production for less than a year, it will undergo some teething pains. If you look through the Chevy truck forum, you'll find complaints with GM's new gas engines too.

I'd bet your '95 Chevy has a small block in it, that engine had been around for 50 years when your truck was built, plenty of time to work the bugs out.:)

14. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

Any car or truck can have problems even after they worked the glitches out. You cant make any engine perfect,something can all ways go wrong or break.

15. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

good thing their not perfect or all the techs on plowsite
    would be out of business

cardoctor

ase master tech

L1 cert

16. wxmn6

Cardoctor - you are right. That is one of reason why Meyer plows are still out there so you can be kept busy fixin' them. :D :drinkup:

I know, I know, ur an automotive tech, not plow tech but you get my idea. :D ;)

J/K

17. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

thats why i carry spare parts with me

cardoctor

18. wxmn6

That's good. Everyone should be carring some spare parts with them when going out plowing. No matter what brand plow, you never know when it might break down and you need a part in a hurry. I made my own mini kit by buying some parts through Mills Supply and put in a small plastic toolbox. But that was for my old 6.5' Fisher plow which was sold this spring. So when I get my new Fisher V plow this summer, I will have to make a new kit. ;)

19. cntryboymc

cntryboymc Member

chevy hd 2500 and western

ok guys,im looking at a 2002 chevy 2500hd ,ext cab, ls, 4wd,8.1l,allison trans. it has 40k miles on it.the chevy dealer is asking $23,000 for it.i would be considering trading my 1999 chevy k1500 ext cab z71 with 6" lift and 35" tires in for the hd.i was thinking of adding a western pro 8 ft ultramount to this if i get it.any thoughts/suggestions? also today i put about a $1,000 worth of brake parts,shocks, and fuel lines on my 1995 chevy k2500 w/diamond 8ft plow.first set of brake shoes at 117,000!

20. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

The truck you are looking at sounds real nice. I like the 8.1L/Allison trans combo. If you are definitely gonna be getting a Western plow,try to get a UniMount set up and not the UltraMount. The UltraMount is the newest one and I have heard a few stories of them becoming unhooked from the truck. Thats a huge no no in my book. The UniMount which I have has been great over the years and never once became unhooked from the truck or anything even close to that. Im pretty sure you can still opt for a UniMount, I dont think you have to get the UltraMount, even though it is the newest one. Good luck in whatever you decide. Glad to see you are getting a Chevy truck. Mike :)