1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buying a new Plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mowerbrad, Jan 6, 2008.

1. mowerbrad

mowerbrad Junior Member

I am thinking about purchasing a snow plow for my 98 GMC 2500 for next season. I have several lawn customers that ask me to plow their driveway but each time I have to refer them to another company. I was thinking about buying a 7'6" Boss V plow or a 7'6" Boss straight blade. I would only use it to plow residential driveways and 1 or 2 small commercial lots. My question is, which plow would be right for me and how much would I expect to pay for it?
  2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

An 8' straight blade will do you just fine. If you start to get busy and you need to upgrade you can always throw on a set of wings and then eventually buy a V plow.

That's what I would do if I was just starting out. Work your way up and buy upgrades as you can afford them.

Good luck
  3. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

First of all, not enough info, MI is a pretty big state and a residential drive in one neighborhood could be 1/2 mile long through the woods (which a v would be good for) or a 50' drive in the city (which a straight would be good for).

2nd, what are your long term plans with growth into plowing and long term plans with the truck you currently have.

3rd, is there a plow dealer nearby that will be able to service and have parts on hand for the plow you are running.

Nobody on here can tell you exactly what plow to buy, almost everyone on here will tell you that the plow they have is the best and thats what you should buy. You need to find a dealer close to you and make sure that they can meet your needs in quality equipment, parts and service.
  4. mowerbrad

mowerbrad Junior Member

I am live in Grand Haven which is right on Lake Michigan. Most of the driveways that I will plow will range from about 40' to over 350'. The average size driveway that I would do would be about 100'. My nearest Boss dealer is about 25min from my house so I will be able to get parts quickly if needed.
  5. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

8' minimum on a full size truck. I would go with a V plow.
  6. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

That helps, i would look at a V mostly because of the longer drives and the amount of drifitng you get in that area (v will help you to bust them open).

As for what make, thats up to you, but since you have a boss dealer close and if you feel comfortable with them than go that way.