1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

buying a municipal f150

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by jayspin, Nov 22, 2011.

1. jayspin

jayspin Junior Member

what do i look for in this 2000 f150 xl 5.4 trinton v8 4x4, auto, it has 120,oo miles, had a plow on it i know, seems to run fine, but just need some tips on what red flags will be mechanically... thanks

2. nick4634

nick4634 Member

the two big things on any plow truck are the transmission/4x4 and the front suspension components. Check to make sure 4x4 engages easily and doesn't make any odd noises while moving check that the transmission shifts smoothly and doesn't slip. I would personally avoid any fleet/state owned vehicle, if you want to know why just spend some time on youtube and see how they treat their vehicles. if it ain't broke, keep driving, and if its broke, keep driving until its really broke

3. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

I would agree 120k miles on an eleven year old truck used by a municipality is probable closer to 200k miles of wear and tear. What are they asking for the truck.

4. kurtandshan

kurtandshan Senior Member

To put this simply: you are looking to buy a vehicle barely capable of handling a plow(even for just a homeowner)that is eleven years old and was actually owned by a municipality?? Lets face it, this has trouble all over it.

5. jayspin

jayspin Junior Member

the truck is a 7700 series f150, 7 lug wheels , they want 4000 got em down to 3200, i think ford only sold f150s for 2 or 3 years with factory plow prep package only on these 7700s, trans cooler, beefed springs,ect. . good shape not much rust at all, runs straight and tru, shifts fairly smooth. i figure it was beat to hell, but maintained very regular, even has an hour meter.

6. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Buy a truck with a beam axle if you're going used and with a plow.

7. jayspin

jayspin Junior Member

also consider my location, central nj, lucky if we get 4-5 plowable events per year, and many years more like 2-3.

8. kurtandshan

kurtandshan Senior Member

Check the frame where the plow mounts attach, I had a F250LD that had some rust/cracking issues at the attach points. It was a western unimount I had to have the frame braced and welded.