1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buying a light bar - looking for recommendations

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by ColliganLands, Sep 17, 2008.

1. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

Hello everyone,
    im looking to buy either a whelen Liberty LED, a whelen justice LED or a whelen TOWMAN LED all fullsize and fully loaded with all the leds, alleys,and takedowns.
    specifically im looking for the price to get one of these in the Boston area and what controllers you would recommend to use with them. Also if anyone has one of these do you recommend it or not.
    Also im going to be mounting it to a backrack with rear facing work lights so i dont need any sort of rear work light in the light bar.
    Thanks to everyone once again
    Kyle

2. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

well if you want led and money is no object then go with the liberty .... but if you have a budjet then go with a justice just as bright but half price .. and just FYI the towman ... does have rear work lights and stop turn tail lights ... designed for specificaly for wrecker use ..

3. F250 Boss v

F250 Boss v Senior Member

Kyle,
    I have the Liberty Mini mag. mount. It serves me very well. I don't like gettting the reflection back from my own lights, so this bar with 4 corner LED's is perfect, and does provide excellent 360 degree coverage. It is bright in bright daylight, and you just can't miss it at night. I got it on Craigslist at around $200 -new! I can even run it with my F250 shut off, and not be overly concerned with battery drain, ( I run with an FD at times and the amber warning lights are useful.) I know you said you want the full size bar, -that is A LOT of lights!!! -IMO. Good luck in your search!

4. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

I love the Libertys.

Also check your PM.

5. ColliganLands

thanks for the responses guys,
    Matt - i sent you a PM.
    Kyle

6. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

go with a liberty and get the regular one not the townmans they regular bar is easyeer to upgrade for plowing a 8 module bar should be good,but if you do load up the rear of the bar it comes from the factory with the ability to do Traffic advisor . also you can order it with the stop turn tail. as for a controller a PCCS9NP seeing how the liberty uses low current switching. or if you want to spend the cash get a concom

http://www.whelen.com/details_prod.php?head_id=9&cat_id=66&prod_id=86

7. scitown

scitown Senior Member

Before you do anything else check craigslist in Boston. Under car parts thier is a guy that is selling all sorts of light bars (no shipping) . Never bought anything from him but maybe worth a call. Try searching on craiglist for "Amber lightbars Woburn".

8. scitown

scitown Senior Member

9. ColliganLands

scitown thanks very much for the info.
    ill look into that, but i think im going to have matt(blue line ent) take care of it all for me
    thanks again
    Kyle

10. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

Just as an FYI, that guy in Woburn is a joker. The prices he charges are rediculous and his ads are not factual as to what he's actually selling. For example he wants like 699 or something doe an 8 strobe edge used. Average price on one of those should be 200-300 in reality. Buyer beware.

Matt

11. scitown

scitown Senior Member

I kinda figured thats why I gave the warning that I have never bought from him. Good heads up thanks. If your looking on craigslist its almost impossible not to click on one of his ads.

12. ColliganLands

yea im not going with that guy anyways too sketchy (why does he have all those bars)
    so matt ill be giving you a call next week and well set everything up
    thanks again
    kyle

13. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

I've seen his ads too, theres a million of them and most of hist parts look kind of crappy anyway. I'm having Matt do my truck to, as soon as i get a few paychecks. Good choice Kyle, I here he does great work.

14. SNOWANDICEMAN

SNOWANDICEMAN Senior Member

Blue line does great work.and his prices are great too. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

15. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

that guy in woburn his stuff looks rebuilt/gone thru and i dont think he is in it more to make money than he enjoys working on lighting. i am memeber of Elightbars.org and i never seen any of that stuff he has there posted. i know guys who have more bars than that but they collect them. i just rebuilt and old 8000 bar and it is a collectors item