1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buying a F-250, the front axle rating is 4,400

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by kruser6, Aug 26, 2009.

1. kruser6

kruser6 Member
    from Iowa

I am looking at Boss's Website and when I put in the trucks specifications it only allows me to drop down to 5,200.

Are there no Boss snow plows that can go on a truck with this rating?

So far all I have found is a midweight 7'6'' Western that will work.

2. 04f350powerv-xt

04f350powerv-xt Senior Member

you are not supposed to put anything heavier on that truck but everyone does. you just void your warranty..

3. kruser6

kruser6 Member
    from Iowa

Void the warranty for the truck? It's a 2000, no warranty I don't care.

Will it take it is what I'm asking?

4. gusdust

gusdust Senior Member

I have had a 9-2 Boss V on my 2000 SD diesel for 5 years. It has the plow prep package and I added Timbrens to it. My dealer told me ballast in the bed was important. I run a rear plow and bagged salt. Front brakes, ball joints, hub bearings take a beating, but fords are known for that. I sub some for a guy that has 2 SD's with 9-2's. Check your front suspension out and hang a big plow on it.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Obviously Boss does not think so. With that front axle it does not have plow prep, so your charging and cooling systems may be inadequate.

6. 04f350powerv-xt

04f350powerv-xt Senior Member

make sure you have a 160 amp altenator, if you dont then upgrade it. throw on some timbrens and call her good.

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Sure no reason to worry about the clutch fan or other coolant goodies from the snowplow prep. you should never get her hot enough to do damage if you have timbrens:rolleyes:

8. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

I plow with 2 Superduties without plow prep and have never had a overheating or charging problem.

Do you think it is really that big of a concern to have the plow prep package?

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Every plow manufacturer states some variation of
    "all 6 liter diesel engines must have snowplow prep package"

or
    "Recommended snowplow prep. package"

My understanding is that the tow prep has the cooling/alt. up-grades, the off road has the skid plates, the plow prep is a heavier rated front axle, springs, a differant clutch fan, limited slip, lower rears, All the trailer stuff (normally don't find plow prep out trailer prep) and skid plates. I'm sure based on location you could get by with out the clutch fan change just seems a shame to buy a 125K use truck with out plow prep with the intent of installing a plow. Particularly since if he could find one with plow prep the PP would not increase its value, except to him:D

I looked at plows for a gas version of that same truck/front axle the other day, limits the recommended choices even in gas.

10. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Is the truck in question a PSD? I am assumiong not.

FWIW my F350 only has a FAWR of 4940# and the weight of the PSD easily uses up the extra 540# of rating.

If you like the truck I wouldn't pass it up waiting for a plow prep truck.

11. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I couldn't agree more. I always get a kick out of it when this comes up. They're trucks.....use them. The front end of my 05 weighs 5,640lbs with the blade up in V position. Scoop would be more. A CCSB 3/4 ton diesel, and obviously no plow prep, and a IFS front end for crying out loud. Trust me, it handles it just fine.