1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

buying a CAT Skid Steer should i get a 2 speed

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by DODGEing, Feb 25, 2010.

1. DODGEing

DODGEing Member

im 90% leaning towards a newer CAT atleast 70hp but im unsure if I want a 2 speed model. A used 2 speed machine is alot harder to find and I found a good machine I really like but its not 2 speed.
  2. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

If using for snow I'd only buy two speed. No question about it.
  3. DODGEing

DODGEing Member

it will definately be moving snow
  4. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Get the 2-speed, it will be handy. When you go to sell or trade it will help you.
  5. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

What are you looking at?
  6. justinzich

justinzich Member

If you have never run a 2-speed you can probably survive with out it, but once you have it, man it is hard to go back.
  7. DODGEing

DODGEing Member

CAT 262B 05-07....Never have had 2 speed to move snow. I actually only have operated a 2 speed machine twice for about 10 minutes
  8. justinzich

justinzich Member

I know for me the two speed saves a lot of time, but as I mostly charge hourly it just means trying to increase the rates to compensate.
  9. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

the 2 speed saves an enormous amount of time both for you and your machines.
    machines cost money to run, so the fewer hours you can put on your machine, the less your maintenance for the same job.

Just for transiting from job site to job site, or from one edge to the other when cutting or dumping materials.

The two speed is a must have.

Jobs are all about low cost (esp now) and anything you can do to lower your costs makes you money.
  10. Skid Mark

Skid Mark Member
    from ny

you want to be fast and productive so you need the two speed option no doubt about it.
  11. DODGEing

DODGEing Member

thanks for the input.....I guess ill keep on looking until i find a 2 speed

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Do the 2 speed you won't regret it. My 252 and 247 will run circles around the 873.
  13. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Definetaly get the 2 speed.:waving:
  14. loaderplower93

loaderplower93 Member

If you can afford it, totally get the 2-speed
  15. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

I can't believe that no one here has mentioned it yet, but you definately want a 2 speed! :dizzy:

16. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

in about a month there will be about (2010's) 40 to 50 new cats forsale around chicago. the machine are like brand new, only used to plow this years winter.
  17. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

Who will be selling them and what size machines?
  18. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

Arctic snow & ice.
  19. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

and yes have a winner !!!!! 252b's and i think 262b's
  20. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

The new stuff is C series there are no new 2010 262B's. That is what I'm looking at getting now a 262c or 72