1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buying a 2003 Cummins

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by MIDTOWNPC, Mar 6, 2007.

1. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

Hey guys, had a good season and found a great deal on a used 2003 diesel dodge 2500 hd 4x4 quad. I have a 99 and dad has a 01, anything I should look for that is different other then checking the truck over good. I put a deposit down to hold the truck and made an agreement to hold it till tomorrow till I can get up there again and see it up on hoist. She was so cold today and wanted to think about it for 24 hours, but I am sure about it I want it. I know they corrected the steering issues after 2002 and the dealer has a 30 day 50 000km warranty, the truck will be saftied and etested. I didnt trade anything in so we will now have a spare, maybe hire a sub next year or sell off a truck.

2. UglyTruck

UglyTruck Senior Member

Dodgetruckworld.com

Hit the diesel forums and read & learn....it does not matter what year you get they all have their quirks....the up side is that the 3rd gen common rail trucks get better fuel mileage...the down side is (I gotta be careful here) .....I have been told that they are not capible of making as much power as the pre common rail CTD...

but the way that I look at it is... if I could afford a 3rd gen truck I would get one...I cant afford to throw $20,000 in mods at the truck I have....let alone $30,000 in mods at a newer one:D

3. MIDTOWNPC

Sounds good, I have actually been reading some forums about 3rd gen. I am thinking about listing my 1999 forsale on trader, not much that compares, so I am not sure on the price. 300 000kms never plowed, just pulled some trailers, sport 4x4 clean interior. I might keep it and put a blizzard 810 on it or this new western thats similar to the blizzard. thanks for the info. nice truck you got there.

What kind of mods have you done? I have a hypertech programmer and stainless exhaust. I would like a set of gaudges but I can't install those my self. Any other info you can share would be great.

Dean

4. UglyTruck

UglyTruck Senior Member

My Mods are pretty limited....mostly by budget..

2" front end leveling kit

sno-way plow (obvously)

K&N Air Filter

Stainless Bug shield

Hard plastic floor protectors (Icemelt is a killer on a floorpan)

Glaicer diesel power, High Flow lift pump (cheaper & Better than a factory replacement)

ventvisors

I would like to do Exaust & a programmer but I refuse to do either till I can afford to put guages in...fuel pressure, tranny temp, EGT, boost.

I am glad that you like my truck...for some reason it suprises me that so many people say how good looking my truck is... I bought it cause it was the only truck (ford or dodge) that fit the bill of what I had to have when i had to have it.

when I say the only one,... i mean the only one in a 200 mile radius...we looked all day every day for a week....pickins was slim...

I didnt like the color at the time but now I would not trade it for anything else:D

5. MIDTOWNPC

just got it....

here is the 2003, the 99 is right beside it. I love the new front and the 4 doors serves me better. I have a computer store and I am always hauling things around the back is huge. going to add some flares and clean it up a bit. maybe a hard tonneau and then get a price on the new western (blizzard like) plow... mmm cant wait
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=42969

6. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

Looks good how many miles and how much?

7. MIDTOWNPC

300k $18 000 Truck is tight, few battle scars but its great. No payments