1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

buying 2500hd

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by mulcahy mowing, Mar 5, 2008.

1. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

I'm looking at a 2003 GMC 2500 with the duramax diesel as much as i'm a die hard ford man this guy is bottom up and this looks to be a good deal. the only problem is the truck has an old fisher 8' MM1 plow that he took off another truck and the mold board is rotting.

how much better is the mm2 than the mm1? can i still find a mm1 plow around?
    how much would a new 8'HD run me?

what would you do in this situation? the truck is very nice with an old crappy plow.
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
  2. Chevy 2500 hd

Chevy 2500 hd Member

I dont know where you live but if close to maine I have a 8' poly x blade for sale just got it this fall and getting a v plow for next season nothing wrong with it is off a 07 2500hd. for prices check www.centralparts.com you have to create a login but its free
  3. ChevyHD4X4

ChevyHD4X4 Senior Member

I would buy the truck and look for a newer plow IMO
  4. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

So why not use the MM1 all except the blade? Buy a new 8' HD or X-blade for it. Then you're using the majority of what you're buying. You can also sell the whole plow setup and buy something newer like what's mentioned above (most of us tend to like the MM2 better than the original).
  5. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

First all, congrats on the purchase should you get it. You'll love the truck. I have an 03 Silverado and absolutely love it. I would definetly get the truck, strip the old plow setup and get a new one. That way, your starting off fresh. Also, there wouldn't be anything wrong with checking out craigslist or the want advertiser after this plow season and get something barely used for alot less than new....goodluck! wesport
  6. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Thats what my boss did last year to the plow i use. The blade is great because its new but everything else is falling apart and needed to be welded and plated several times not to mention it takes 14 seconds to angle either way and the right wing wont hold pressure... your better off buying new instead of trying to piece together an old beat up plow.
  7. Chevy 2500 hd

Chevy 2500 hd Member

8ft hd on central parts is 3,929
  8. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

1. You will need to rewire the truck that will cost you around $1000.
    2. Dont buy a Chevy.
  9. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

Unless the the is a smoking good deal I would find a different truck that doesn't already have a plow on it. Then you won't have to hassle with removing the old plow and getting rid of it, and you also get a truck that is a plowing virgin that someone else hasn't pounded on for who knows how long.
    JMO but if you really wan't that truck I would get a different plow regardless!
  10. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

thanks for the advise guys but the deal fell through he owed 18k on the truck and it was in horrible condition so i passed on it.

the search continues..