1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buyers V-Box spreader question???

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by SodFather, Dec 5, 2001.

1. SodFather

SodFather Junior Member

A guy I know is gonna give me this unit for free but I want to know if it is worth it (or is he just looking to dump it on me). Its an older Buyers 2yd spreader the only problem is the main conveyor/chain is busted. This is my first box spreader and was wondering since that is a main part about how much does the chain cost, and is it a big job to put in?. Thanks..

2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Central parts warehouse has that part for 305.00
    part number CC100P replaces OEM part number 1401100P
    Alan has a great way to install the chain, but I dont know if it will work with a busted chain. Is the chain still in the channel, or is it out of the unit? From what I hear its a real pain the thread through, but shouldnt take more than 1/2 a day.
    If everything else works on the unit, I would say that for 300.00 and a 1/2 day of time, it would be well worth it.
    Dino

3. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Other then the way of feeding it through by using the old chain the best way I have found is to hang it from my overhead and at the same time have it sitting on my heavy metal sawhorses. This allow me to get under it and feed the chain. Saves some time. Still a hard job to do. I got one to do for a friend this weekend. While you are down there clean everything out maybe shoot a little paint up there.

4. captjack

captjack Member

I have the stainless steel version of this spreader. The conveyor chain on mine is pretty rusty. The unit is one year old. How often do you have to replace the chain on these units?
    thanks
    jack

5. plowking35

from SE CT

OIl Oil OIL
    If you oil the chain before storage in the off season, start the unit once a month and reoil about mid summer the chain will last a very long time. It will stretch, and you just keep adjusting the front bearing till you run out of thread. Once that happens, you will need to replace the chain. I have one unit that is 10 yrs old, and still has a few seasons left before replacing the apron chain.
    If taken care of they will last a long time.
    Also, keep the chain clear while its being used,chunks of frozen material will bind the chain, and possibly make it break prematurely.
    Dino

6. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

My oldest spreader a 7 year old air flo just had to have the chain replaced. Somehow a rock got into the hopper last season and trashed it. At the time we just yanked it off. Something I did for this season was to build a screen for the top like my other sanders have. Another lesson learned.

7. plowking35

from SE CT

Yes screens are a must. I remember one night, I was sick of the material having a hard time getting down through the screen, so I took it off. I had a worse time digging the clumps out from the door in the rear of the spreader.
    Never make that mistake again.
    Dino

8. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Luckily we had other spreaders otherwise I would have had to swap out the chain that day. Only rock I have ever found in my sand. None others have appeared on the screens. My bad luck it got into the one without the screen.

9. captjack

captjack Member

so if the chain is rusty i should replace it before the season starts? I have not run the machine yet to see if anything breaks.
    i guess im trying find out how strong these chains are.
    the last thing i want is this to break in a snow storm.
    maybe im making to big a deal about this.
    jack

10. plowking35

from SE CT

Yes you are, loosen the apron chain,start the machine up, and engage the clutch. If it starts to move then disengage the clutch, get some oil, and dump it in the spreader, and re engage the clutch. Let it run till the chain is nice and lubed. When that is all done, readjust the spron chain, and you are all set. If the chain is bound up to the point that it wont turn, then you may have to replace it. Also lube the drive chains from the engine to clutch and clutch to spinner as well, they can keep the chain from moving also.
    Dino

11. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Most apron chain are open pinned. So even if a little rusty and stiff they will loosen and worke better once they move and are lubed. Try what Dino says and then if it does not work replac it. Try everything at low speed and watch the assemble carefully so you can shut it down if needed.

12. SodFather

SodFather Junior Member

Thanks everyone for all of your replys. I was waiting for email that said someone replied but I guess they don't do that anymore. Thought no one had any answers for me, glad I checked my post. Thanks again for all the post lots of good info...

13. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

You have to select that option in you personal preferences.