1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

buyers undertailgate electric spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by NorthernSvc's, Dec 6, 2012.

1. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

I have an f-550 that i am looking at putting an undertailgate on... don't want to have to flip for a central hydraulic system so im weighing my options, I was very happy with my electric western tornado and am contemplating getting another electric spreader...I can buy several of these buyers electric undertailgates for the cost of one central hydraulic one ( and the plumbing for the truck...)
    does anyone have one? do you like it? any issues? any input would be great. thanks guys.

2. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I have spent sometime looking into this as well. I found good reviews on the spreader, bad reviews on the controller. However, I think that they may have fixed that issue by going back to the analog controllers. I also looked at this unit at the SIMA symposium trade show, and thought it appeared to be well built and well engineered.

I know that won't really help you in your decision too much since I don't have first hand experience, but the point of my post is to explain why I opted away from them.

It seemed like a great idea, less weight in the truck = more salt. Less room required for storage, and best of all a cheaper overall purchase price. After really thinking about it, I realized that if I thought I was going to take part time, seasonal employees (we all know how that goes), and let them drive around a lot with the dump body up and not hit something, that I was crazy. It just seemed like such a liability and risk to take on when allowing others to operate them. If it was only me operating it, or if it was only my main year round full time employees operating it, or lastly if I lived in an area of the country with all buried lines, then it would be a different story.

This logic won't follow anyone, but it was brought up to me from someone with first hand experience and was enough to change my mind. Just some food for thought.

3. turfmasters

turfmasters Member

I have 2 Swenson RTG electric on my GMC 3500's and they are damn near flawless.Has a great controler with a lighted background.You can get RTG or below tailgate for a Ford which sits up higher than my GMC.Also take note that Swenson and Magnum Spreaders are the same. If you purchase one of these units you will never look back. Cost is about $5300.

4. ARCTIC1000

ARCTIC1000 Junior Member

electric spreader salt dogg

i have 2 spreaders from saltdogg all electric , there was a few issues 3 years ago with control & wiring, but all were updated & have worker great both on 4500 chevy last one i purchased was 3,600 cash & carry a month ago

also used a snow x sp2400 for a couple years &liked the saltdogg better so switched them up & sold snow x

5. ryde307

ryde307 PlowSite Veteran

I have a salt dogg vbox new last year. Controller was bad out of the box. This was the case with 2 of 3 that friends and I ordered together. Got a new one no real problem since.
    Also purchased a snowex replacement tailgate spreader for a 550 last season.Works great but all of the paint has come off already and is rusty in one season. They also forgot the light harness wire when purchased new.
    Purchased a undertailgate snowex this season for another 550. Again they forgot the light harness. It works ok. Hangs very low. We have only used it once this season but overall it seems ok. For the cost I believe if we get another undertail gate the next will something besides snowex, prob. buyers for the price.

6. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

The beauty of an under tailgate spreader though is that you can get about 400 lbs of salt back on the auger. After I do our large lot we service, I just dump the bed one more time to load the auger. At that point I usually have enough salt back there to keep the dump bed down and service the handful of other properties we do.

If I run out, then I just raise the bed and dump back more salt. This way I'm not running around salting with the bed up in the air all the time.

This also one advantage of an under-tailgate over a replacement tailgate spreader.