1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buyers TGSUV1B Jamming up

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by odd1or2even, Dec 31, 2009.

1. odd1or2even

odd1or2even Senior Member

I have the standard hitch spreader that holds 300-350 lbs of bagged rock salt. My problem is, when I load up the hopper with salt, the motor will turn on and spin and spread salt as it's designed to. But then it'll just stop working like 20 seconds in. It seems to jam up with salt on the auger because the motor doesn't have enough guts or torque to turn it and spread salt.

Should I put the much beefier motor on the more expensive models that spreads the salt like 30 feet instead of about 10-15 feet that this one spreads. This model that I have simply has an on/off switch inside and plugs into the cig. lighter which makes it convenient to transfer from truck to truck.

Any help would be great! Thanks...
  2. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

I have the same one, i dont run rock salt out of it. I run an inexpensive ice melter. Its a little more money but spreads a lot better just be careful if you do because you actually need to drive fairly quick becasue it spreads quick.