1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buyers TGS06 Tailgate spreader

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by pmdheadhunter, Oct 13, 2010.

1. pmdheadhunter

pmdheadhunter Junior Member

Anyone have any info on the Buyers TGS06 Tailgate Spreader. It's got a vibrator not the Auger (TGS07). Same size and a few hundred less.

2. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

3. pmdheadhunter

I will be running straight bulk salt through this.....still the right one in your opinion?

Thanks.

4. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

If it's just salt that doesn't have a lot of moisture in it, you should be fine. Any clump bigger than a golf ball can potentially clog it.

With sand/salt, I was getting softball sized clumps that would block up the spreader so I had to build a screen that laid on top in order to keep those chunks out. Since installing the screen, I rarely have a clogging issue. If I do, a few stabs with a curb stake clears things up.

I have never used straight salt so I'm not really sure if the clumps are rock solid or if they fall apart easily.

With the 07, I dont have to worry about clumps, the auger will break them up.

You couldn't go wrong with building a screen for it either. I used some four L-brackets, some 3/4 #9 expanded metal and thumb screws.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  5. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

So did you upgrade to the TGS07? I'm considering purchasing one but am hoping to hear from some folks who've already taken the plunge and see what they think. I've got a local dealer that stocks it (currently out though, 7 more coming in next week) for $1381.00, which seems too good to be true for a unit like that.

6. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

I was wondering if you had any issue with salt running out the bottom of the spreader when it wasn't turned on. I just bought a tgs06 and that is the only thing so far I don't like. I can't seem to get it adjust to where it will put enough down but won't just run out the bottom when I turn it off. I'm used to sno way and boss spreaders and they never did that.

7. pmdheadhunter

I picked up 2 spreaders recently, a Buyers tailgate tgs06 and a Buyers 2 yd electric v (shpe2000).

After 1 snow I like them both.

Our lots are large enough that the "open bottom" position isn't much of an issue on the TGS06. We put airbags on the truck (96 dodge 3/4 ton) and with a plastic liner in the bed use bulk salt and pretty much fill the bed up (waterlevel). That driver shovels it in. The salt was wet yet this spreader did an outstanding job of throwing in a good pattern. We put a "grate" on top to keep clumps from getting in and clogging it up. I would highly recommend it for under a thousand dollars.

The larger V-box also worked well. Again put airbags on the truck (04 3/4 GMC) I did have some trouble initially with it clogging up (wet salt). I took the grate off and adjusted the material flow chutes (2) and it was fine. to keep from throwing all the salt fast, I just slowed the auger down. again a great product for half the money of a western.

Both easy to install and can remove them fairly easily if needed.

Ask me how I feel about them after a full season....

Phil

8. War Horse

War Horse Junior Member
    from PA

Some input on the TGS07 worth every penny i spent! Well designed machine, and you can not beat the price! The vibrator shakes my F250 from front to back, I LOVE IT! Take the plunge you wont regret it!

9. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

Just installed the TGS06 Spreader and used it yesterday.

It is a nice Spreader, once you figure out where you need your flow gate open according to what material you are running through it. I have the newer spinner model on mine and yes you lose a little bit of material right when you open it, but you figure out where you need it and then go salt. When you are done your lot, go shut it, easy as that.

I ran(damp) Bulk salt through mine and used the vibrator most of the time and it did well. I will be making up a grate for the top just to keep larger than golf ball size chunks out when loading....

10. pmdheadhunter

the grate we put in our TGS06 is a heavy plastic with probably not quite 1/2 inch squares. Got it at Farm N Fleet. Was made for flooring on an outside dog pen. Took 20 minutes to size and cut it for install. Used "L" brackets screwed in to set it on/in. The lid still closes. The driver on that one turns the vibrator on while loading so it sifts itself down between each shovel.

Phil

11. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

Thanks for the info. I will have to try and track something like that down around my area.
    Thumbs Up

12. pmdheadhunter

13. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

I ended up stopping at Home Depot on the way to my route yesterday and grabbed a piece of metal 2'x4' white closet shelving. I through it on top of the spreader at the yard and loaded it up....WORKED PERFECT!!! I ran 4 yards of (damp) salt through it all night and it only clogged up 1 time with a chunk of some thing....I am very happy with this product for the $$$, one of the best out there...wesport