1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buyers TGS05

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by wls, Nov 20, 2008.

1. wls

wls Senior Member

I bought a new spreader for this year, and went out and used it for the 1st time a couple days ago, (6 bags) worked great. This morning I went to one place, only had to put one bag down, spread that fine. Went to another job, that takes about 5 bags and spread about 3 bags worth, the it would'nt work, worked the auger loose, made sure it was'nt reset, as far as the variable controller goes, still nothing. Decided to head home, 10 miles away, bout 5 miles from home, tried it, started working, in which I did'nt think it would, because of packing it down in the auger, anyway got close to my place, on a hill I spread the reset of it out. Pulled up in front of my garage, hit the switch on, nothing, auger was free. this was a 5am, came back out at 9 am, to see if juice was getting back there, turned it on, worked fine. Wonder if the controller is the reason, maybe the rheostat getting hot, I know the last on I had I hooked it to a on/off switch, wonder if thats what I should do again?

2. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Kinda sounds to me like you have a loose ground someplace

3. wls

wls Senior Member

ya thats what I thought also, wiggle around all the grounds I could fine, but this is a new setup on this truck, used all the new wiring harness, new grounds etc. I went out today, put 11 bags thru it, worked fine, curious I turned it on down the road, the controller said (check motor), so it was'nt working again. Got home in the drive, tryed it a few times, no go, went inside, 2 hours later came out, ran like a champ. So I cut the wires and hooked it to a toggle switch. will find out if it was the controller at next salting.

4. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

Toggel switch is what I used, the control from the factory lasted about a week. I also put a inline fuse for the switch, easy to change out if the fuse blows. Before you start it up everytime free up the spinner by hand because if it is stuck at all it will blow fuse. I had to carry alot of fuses with every use untill I would do this before I started spreader. I also ran a secound ground to the truck because of grounding problems.

5. wls

wls Senior Member

Thats what I had to do on another spreader I had/have yet, make sure it was'nt jamed up, before starting. It sure has alot more spinning power now, then it did going thru the factory controller. What size fuse did you put in it, where did you mount the inline fuse, before of after switch? thanks

6. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

Mounted fuse before switch. The in line fuse was in line with fuse panel off the truck so it protected the panel fuse. Just make sure that the in line fuse is smaller than the panel fuse so the in line goes first or you will have to replace the panel fuse, takes allot more time to do. I also fabbed up a receiver hitch mount so the salter would slide into my hitch. Reinforce the bottom of the frame on the salter with some angle iron and weld a square piece of stock to it. All I did was cut the ball of a hitch I had lying around and welded the rest to the salter. You will have to strap the top of the frame to the truck. I also took the tailgate off of my truck so it was easy to load. I put 33 ton's of salt thru mine last year. I also welded some round stock around the spinner because if you back into a snow bank you will bend the spinner shaft very easy. With the toggle switch it is on or off so you have no adjustment but the amount that it put down was perfect for me. The unit is a cheap unit but with some extra work you can make it work. Oh one more thing I put a plug at the rear of the truck so when you want to take it off all you have to do is unplug it.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  7. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

could be your motor thats what mine did and then the motor went