1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

buyers tailgate spreader

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by ncsinc, Dec 16, 2008.

1. ncsinc

ncsinc Junior Member

i bought a buyers TGS05B spreader.. and have had nothing but problems with it.....i first used it, it was bringing the material to the top instead of bringing it down and out. so i had to reverse the wires, and now its bringing it down but when i load it up with salt about 100lbs in one that is built for 700lbs and drive 2 feet then it stalls motor.. i reset it .. it starts back up move a inch and it blows the control box fuse again and have to reset it 100 times in 50 feet... and get out and move the spinner by hand to unclog it......seems like the motor is not strong enough..... anyone help with the problem.... i contacted the dealer they say its my salt i use ICE AWAY 50lbs bags.... so ok i took the auger out of the salter and ground down it down so only a half inch was left to let bigger rock salt through thinking that would help and it does sometimes but when the smaller rock salt mixes in were back to it blowing the fuse....... does it need a vibrator on it will that even help or just jam it up more..... and what the hell is number 1 rock salt, Ive asked around and no one has ever heard of it thanks NCS :dizzy:

2. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Are u using bagged salt or bulk salt, because this unit will not spread bulk and a vibrator wont help your spreader either, i had one for one season and sold it the next year.

3. ncsinc

ncsinc Junior Member

we have 50# bags one with larger rocks and one fine both don't work. Buyers rep says need to use #1 rock salt?

4. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Are you loading just before you spread the salt or are you loading it prior to plowing them spreading, the reason i ask is that i tried loading it first them plowed the lot which took about an hour, then when went to use the spreader it was wet from plowing and i had to constantly try and clean it out. I had two in one season the first one only lasted two storms before the wires at the motor corroded off then the second one had to make sure the salt was dry.

5. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

I have a similar problem with mine...I think our problem is in the motor. I bought mine second hand with a "new" motor but I got screwed. Mine will blow fuses in 2 ft every five minutes unless I just hook a toggle up to it and then it works fine. I know what to do next year..sell it!

6. ncsinc

ncsinc Junior Member

We load after plowing the lots. Same problem today. Spoke to buyers rep today and he had absolutly no answers. Claims if not the motor it is the control. all has been checked just not enough power for what we need it for. Figured it could hold 800# and would be great.