1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buyers Tailgate spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by merrimacmill, Dec 3, 2007.

1. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I'm just wondering what you guys think of these buyers spreaders. This would be my first spreader, besides the one on the back of our tractor, so I'm a little inexperienced in this department. I put in a bid to a commercial lot today (They're unhappy with their current pow guy) and they asked if I had a spreader. When I had to say no, they sounded dissapointed so I decided I'm going to have to move in on one of these. And I'm not ready for the big V box deal yet.. maybe someday. I like how this swings away from the tail gate so I can open the tail gate. Let me know what you guys think. Heres a link to it.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/...tomer driven-_-Recently Viewed-_-Product Page

2. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

You wont be disapointed. Angelos in Michigan has those for 799.00 I believe.....plus tax and shipping of course.

3. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

Buyers are fine for something little. I know a guy who used a coffee can 16 oz. to salt a small lot

4. WALKERS

WALKERS PlowSite.com Addict

There was one like that on here that someone was trying to sell. I think it will work for you.

5. merrimacmill

from MA

Do you guys think I should go with the swing out mount, or the receiver hitch mount? With the swing out I would have to drill holes in my bumper and my bed rails. With the receiver mount, the tailgate is not opening unless I take off the spreader. What do ya think?

6. WALKERS

WALKERS PlowSite.com Addict

Are you going to have a WB snow blower with you?

7. merrimacmill

from MA

Right now I don't plan on it, but I've thought about it. So maybe the swing out would be best? I just don't wnat to drill holes lol.

8. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

A couple of holes on your bed rail and bumper never hurt anyone.

9. merrimacmill

from MA

I guess thats true. I just don't like drilling holes in anything new.

What materials will this thing spread? I know it won't spread bulk sand/salt mix, but in terms of bagged materials? Can it do the bagged rock salt?

Whats everyone think to be the best, most cost effective ice melt, Calcium chloride, sodium chloride, or bagged rock salt?

Thanks for the help

Collin

10. kmwharley

kmwharley Member

Bagged rock salt is fine, just no bulk....although there are some pricy tailgate spreaders that will handle bulk. It may be worth you time to see how much you would be using and check the price difference between the price of bag and bulk and see if that may be advantageous. For example, using the same site a buyers is 920 and fiser pro flow 2 is 2300(1380 more). I get bulk for 53 per ton and at the same place bagged is 3.60 pallet(which equals 144 per ton) price a differnce of 91. This all means that after 15 tons you have broke even.....how much do you use per occasion? Obvoiusly you would need to put your local prices but woth checking out

11. merrimacmill

from MA

I was down at a local truck equipment shop today and saw the Meyer Mate and changed my mind. I decided to go with this unit. I don't need tools to attach or detatch and I don't need to drill holes. It also comes standard with a vibrator motor. What do you guys think?

12. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

FOR APPROX. $2800.00 you can get a snowex swing gate 1875 spreader w/ vibrator installed.

like i said before , i spit out some 2b stone which is 3/4'' w/ no problem. though i wouldnt reccomend you doing that .

13. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

That was me my first year plowing:waving:

14. bigearl

bigearl Senior Member

Bulk salt?

I run bulk salt(DRY) through my Buyers spreader. But then again that's probably why I keep burning the motors? I just ordered another another motor today. Hopefully I can Get through the season.

15. merrimacmill

from MA

I just bought and picked up the Meyer Mate today. Going to go install it now!

16. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

I chose the Buyers over the Meyer and I like Meyer stuff. It's twice as expensive.

2800 for a snow ex tailgate with swing away and vibrator? Geez thats awfully high.

17. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

Bought a Buyers 6 years ago to use in a large strip mall type complex. Still doing the same place as well as several other commercials. Has been mounted on 4 different vehicles. At the time it was what I could afford and I was going to replace it with a better one when it failed. Have billed over $10K in salting over the years and it all came out of that spreader. Just remounted it last week and I thought it was done. The motor was froze, a little oil and a stiff turn, used it Sunday night. Never repaired it, not once.

18. merrimacmill

from MA

I've got it all installed. Works great. I still have to get used to it and how much its spreading since this is my first time ever operating a spreader. I'll start a new thread and post some pictures in a couple days for anyone interested in this spreader.

19. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Do you mean just ice melt type of salt that comes bagged with 1/8"-3/16" pellets, or do you mean it can run the bagged rock salt like I put in the water softner (3/8"-1/2" pellets)??

Could I run a 50/50 mix of bagged salt and bagged sand? (first put 1 salt bag, then 1 sand bag, repeat until full) Or only run it partially full when mixed?

Oh and thanks for the numbers you posted in the rest of that post that I cut out :)

20. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

i have a buyers with the hitch mount that folds down to get into the tailgate and i run strait sand through it alot of times with no problem. The only problem i've had is the controls go out so i hard wired it to a switch.