1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buyers tailgate spreader

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by bcflawn, Dec 16, 2005.

1. bcflawn

bcflawn Junior Member
    from Ohio

Got a question about a Buyers tailgate spreader, I have one that everytime I use it it blows a fuse in my cigarette lighter. :realmad: Anyone have any idea if any other tailgate spreaders do this? Is my model junk? manufacturer defect or what? Any help would be great!

Thanks,

2. CRJCaptain

CRJCaptain Junior Member

I opted for a Buyers spreader with a wiring harness kit that connects directly to the vehicle battery. On this model there is a circuit breaker integrated into the rheostat to control the motor speed mounted in the cab. This circuit breaker has never popped.

As with any electric motor, there is a large electrical load spike on start-up, and I think it's more current than the average cigarette lighter can handle, thus your consistent fuse problems. Perhaps you could switch to a battery harness set-up?

PS...This entire discussion assumes that you've got a spreader that plugs into the cigarette lighter...Is this the case?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2005
  3. bcflawn

bcflawn Junior Member
    from Ohio

Yes!!!

Plugs into cig lighter.. However, I upgraded and bought the spreader today that you were talking about, wired directly to the battery. Buddy has one says they work great..... Figure my other one that plugs into cig lighter will be another EBay Casualty!

4. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Keep the top of the motor as clean as possible. Also take the motor apart after the season to clean and stop any internal corrosion. These spreaders are know for eating motors due to salt and moisture getting into motor housing....

5. CRJCaptain

CRJCaptain Junior Member

Hey, thanks for the heads-up...I was concerned about this very issue. (Those replacement motors aren't cheap!)