1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

buyers suv spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by bobcatnj, Nov 6, 2005.

1. bobcatnj

bobcatnj Member
    from NJ

opinions on the buyers suv salt spreader? all i plow and salt are residental driveways.
  2. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

I have not owned this exact model but it does have the same exposed motor as our older Buyers. The vertically mounted exposed motors are bad for allowing moisture into the motor housing causing major corrosion problems. We keep the top of the motor packed with grease and have made a rubber slinger that is mounted to the motor shaft just above the seal to try and keep moisture out.
  3. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

tried one......wanted to use it on a sidewalk machine.........JUNK

Tried 3 different ones and they just plain are not effective
  4. silvetouch

silvetouch Senior Member

I noticed your question on the buyers suv spreader. We had a Buyers Commerical spreader, ( I can't remember the exact model), It was the wider 1 that holds 600lbs though. I wasn't very happy with it personally. We mainly use bulk salt though. It worked "ok" with bagged salt.
    By the way, on residentials, what are you getting for salting them? We do afew residentials here in michigan, but we only plow, not salt.
    Hope that helps.

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

Motor Was Weak Dont Do It

6. bobcatnj

bobcatnj Member
    from NJ

thanks for the input. i think im going to get the snowex575

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

check ebay
    there a sno ex 375 4 sale . i think in n.j.

8. GL&M

GL&M Senior Member
    from PA

I've been running the variable speed unit for two years. I believe they used two sizes of motors on some of these units. The larger motor has a better track record than the smaller. Mine was doing ok till I back into a bank and damaged the the motor. Installed a new motor and was back in business. Also had to replace the variable speed controller. I believe there were some issues with some of those units also. The new unit is supposed to be more reliable. I guess I'll find out shortly.
  9. SnowProGRES

SnowProGRES Member

Youll save in the long run by buying a snow-ex. I have a 700lbs variable speed buyers... After adding interior sheetmetal chutes, screen, vibratory motor and brush guard it works fair at best. Still trips the breaker on a pretty regular basis requiring getting out of the truck to free it up.... and then gettin magic salt residue all over (which basically turns rock solid when it dries) :realmad:
  10. SnowProGRES

SnowProGRES Member

oh yeah, just as a tip for a first time salter, do not EVER leave salt in the hopper overnight.... ive spent a couple mornings with a chisel and troul scooping the frozen stuff out of the hopper :rolleyes: