1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buyers Suv (opinions)

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by wiseguyslawn, Dec 1, 2010.

1. wiseguyslawn

wiseguyslawn Senior Member

How does everyone like this spreader. Parts break alot? etc.

2. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I like mine a lot- its a heck of a lot better than trying to throw it by hand or with a walk behind. Once you get the hang of the shoot (pulling it out to your desired flow) its pretty easy. I wish there was a speed control to slow it down at times. I sometimes flick it on and off so I can get more salt to drop at certain area's (it builds up when you turn it off, then throws a bunch where I want it rather than getting out again).

I got mine used, I believe its an 06 model but I'm not 100% sure. I used it all season last season and tried it a week ago and it had a dead motor. $105 shipped from DB electronics on ebay with a 1year warranty and I'm back in business. I got it for $300 so overall I've got a real nice return on investment so far.

3. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

we have one of them on a truck and i love it for certain areas. it's not going to cover large parking lots but it's awesome when you use it for what it's designed for, small lots, driveways. i like that you can pop it on and off the truck easily and it folds down.

4. Dig-it Landscap

Dig-it Landscap Member

Word of caution: make sure you have a back up if you are running the DB motors. I ordered 2 of them a couple years ago because they were the cheapest. They work fine for 2-4 storms then need replaced. I bought 2 new motors at 200-220 each and they have been on for a year and a half with approx 24 saltings per year.

5. plowguy43

Crap, I had heard good things about them which is why I went with them. The only other option on Ebay had NO warranty/NO returns and was the same price (or literally $1 more). If this dies I will mount up a bigger motor on it.

6. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I had planned to buy two of them. Went to Northern Tool, took one look at them and said "NO WAY".

Went down the road and bought two Snowex 575, three times the cost but ten times the quality.

7. plowguy43

Thats like comparing a snowbear with a 9 1/2' V plow.

8. SnowGuy73

Hey he wants opinions and I gave him mine. I have learned from past mistakes, try to save $5 now only to sprend $10 later.

Buy a quality product and and it will do what you want it to year after year.

Buy a cheap product and be the standing in a parking lot at 2 a.m. trying to figure out where you went wrong.

Just my take on things........

9. plowguy43

Yeah that is true. The SUV Spreader is meant for a homeowner to use on their driveway.

Personally for me, I don't have a ton of accounts that require salt or sanding, but the ones that do- this has taken care of perfectly. And after getting it used (I can't remember if it was $250 or $300), I couldn't beat the deal. It was either that or keep spreading by hand.

If I were in a position where I had a lot of accounts requiring salting, then I'd definitely look at a more expensive Buyers/Boss/Fisher/SnowEx spreader.

10. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

I wasted time and money on one last year. Returned it the next day. There's no material gate on it. I couldn't even make it out of the shop yard before it dumped 160lbs of rock salt down the shop drive. POS. Get a SnowEx/fisher/Western/Meyers whatever before you waste your time on this homeowner pos.

11. plowguy43

Wow never had that problem but not the first time I've heard that.

12. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

i should clarify we run one suv pro not the cheap plug in one....that one is crap

13. I have 2 subs that work for me that have these. one doesnt have the material gate on it the other does. Within the past 3 years both the motors have went bad. I checked into it for them and had them take it to a local electrical shop and they rebuilt or rewound (something like that...sorry im no mechanic or very technical.) believe this was done for like $30 or so and have since had no issues with either. As far as someone mentioned that 250-300 for a used was a good price....not really, JC Whitney is selling new ones for 341. Dont really care for the cheap one though, not having the material gate is a PITA cause u gotta unload it completely prior to leaving a job.

14. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

I forgot to mention, I bought it NEW IN BOX. Sealed up, never been purchased and returned, only to open it and find that about half the fricking hardware was missing. From that experience alone anything Buyers is to be bought with caution and attention to detail for me at least.

15. SnowGuy73

Well said.

16. Amen to that! There is a reason they are priced so cheap. Paying the extra couple hundred for a "real" commercial spreader is well worth the investment IMO.

17. plowguy43

Mine has a gate that you can close completely, do I have a different model? I fill it up and drive around to all my accounts, spread what I need then close the gate and move on. To me this thing is perfect. I don't salt 20 properties with it, but have 3 that want it done and this does it perfectly. I have no need to spend $2000+ for a "real" spreader although I'm considering the TGS07 because it can spread bulk salt and heavy sand.

18. cplmac

cplmac Senior Member
    from Dundee

I bought a new SUV-PRO last year and like it. My biggest lots are less than an acre and I can fit 350 pounds in it so it suits my needs perfectly. Ran it all last season with no problems, today was the first use since last season and the auger or motor is binding up. I'm going to take a look at it tomorrow, luckily it held out until the last property today. I like the controller, and the fact that there is no gate to deal with. Only had it a year and I've got a problem, but until I take it apart and get a look at it I can't say if it's because the unit is not worth buying or something is wedged in the auger. You need to use bagged material in it, that much I can tell you for sure. It does not like bulk material at all, or wet material.

19. Plowguy, I believe the pro model has the material gate and the regular SUV model does not or something like that as I stated before of my 2 subs that have these one has a gate one doesnt. cplmc hope you didnt have a motor go bad on it like others have stated n like the 2 subs I use who have them.