1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buyers Stainless vs. Salt Dog Poly?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by PremierLand, Jan 31, 2007.

1. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

I was planning on a Buyers stainless for $3,000, but now im starting to think of getting the Salt Dog Poly electric for $3,000.

It would only be spreading about 2ton per storm, and it will be going in a F350 Dulley Dump. I dont have central hydraulics, and I do not want to get Central Hydraulics.

I have heard nothing but good expierences with both, and I hear the controller on the stainless steel one is awesome, but i'd assume same thing with the salt dog.

I have a crane to get the stainless out, but poly would be alot eaiser with some muscle.

what have you guys had problems with? what do you like or dislike.
  2. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

I would say, if you are going to put it in a dump truck then purchase the standard SS Vbox for the minor fact that A) it is a dump truck and B) what if you expand down the road and need to run more salt during the night. You would not have to reload unlike the salt dog, so dont restrict yourself considering they run about the same price. If it was for a pickup then I would suggest the Salt Dogg due to the weight issue. You also dont need central hydro for either my Buyers has a 10.5 B&S engine.

The controller for both is the same. I love it, its up to date and very cool looking. If you have a crane thats another reason just to go with the bigger unit for expansion of your business. The only problem I have ever had with my SS unit is it getting back into a pole and the chute getting destroyed. A buddy of mine has the salt dogg and absolutly loves it, not complaints at all for either. Decent price great product.
  3. GrandScapes

GrandScapes Senior Member

The only electric I would even consider is the Snow Es 8000 I believe it is. And they are OK but not for what they cost. Go with the Buyers. We have one and are more then happy with the reliabilty of it. The electrics are ok if your salt is stored in a dry indoor location. Some people have good luck with them but not us. we have 4 gas motored v boxes and a snow ex 8000 electric and a western tornado electric. The v boxes out perform the electrics hands down. Or at least if you have outdoor stored salt..The first time you get a small rock in that electric and you have to hand shovel the salt out of it, you'll regret buying it.

The only nice thing on the electrics is the flow control. If its a light night, the electrics can be flow controlled to put down much less salt. But I just tell my drivers with the v boxes to go 35 mph through the parking lots and that works just fine :)