1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

buyers stainless steel electric spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by rblake, Nov 19, 2012.

1. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

has anyone used one of their dual electric stainless steel v box spreader? thinking about switching to an electric unit since the new truck will not have central hydraulics

2. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

I know a guy that has converted his to electric and he likes it. Dont know if that helps? Oh ya that spreader is on it 3rd year as electric. I just ordered a under tailgate electric from them!

3. lawnsnow365

lawnsnow365 Junior Member

Looking for feedback on dump truck bed liners. Looking to install a liner in a 3 yrd dump body.

Do they do a good job with bulk salt bridging up and sticking to the floor of the steel bed?

I use a under tailgate spreader.

4. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

It works. You should start a thread on this its a good topic. I priced out a poly liner made out of tyvar and wow was it $$$$$. I figured I wouldnt have the truck long enough. A friend of mine tried slip pant/graphite pant and he said it didnt last long.

5. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Funny that you post this, I just signed on here to bring up the exact same subject.

I am looking for a 2 yard stainless electric spreader, and am considering a Buyers. I am weary of the buyers quality/reputation though.. I am specifically referencing the Model# 1400601SS

I suppose it will depend if the chute swings away, that is one of my requirements.

6. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

Go with the poly, get rid of the chain !!!!

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I have one customer using one and he loves it. Everybody else has gone to the poly. they are available in up to SIX yard units, the new 2250 is VERY sweet.

8. merrimacmill

from MA

Poly is not out of the question, but I have several issues with the poly. These aren't things I know will happen, but just concerns I have. First, if/when some freezing of material occurs with a poly, I would be afraid to take a crowbar/prybar or shovel type of tool to it in fear of puncturing the hopper. In this situation, I would not have time to let it thaw in the shop, and I have also tried the pour windshield fluid over it, and it does not work. My second poly concern is distortion/warpage of the hopper either naturally over time, or when being stored outdoors in direct 100+ degree sunlight. Not saying the thing is going to melt, but if it moves ever so slightly, and screws up the tolerances of the drag chain, or chute area, it could be an expensive fix. I'm sure it would be great now, but what about 10, 15, 20 years from now? And the weight savings is minimal at best, and in many cases there is not even any weight savings.

I'm really just looking for a 1.5 - 2 yard stainless/electric with a flip up chute. I would preferably like to see this thing fit into a service body truck as well.

Does the Buyers Stainless/Electric have a flip up chute?

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

First; there is no drag chain they are auger feed,
    Second; The drive components live in a SS trough. the basic SHPE2000 (2 yard saltdogg elec/poly) the entire drive line (auger, bearings, gear motor, assorted bits and peices plus labor) can be replaced for a grand.
    Third; The weight is SIGNIFICANTLY less with poly about half the weight.

Clear case of prejudice (Fear based on lack of knowledge.)

10. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  11. merrimacmill

from MA

Jim, Funny you mention that I am about 90% sure that the Stainless Swenson 2 yard electric unit. I have quoted, and researched every single different 1.5-2.5 yard poly or stainless electric spreader on the market today and keep landing on the Swenson.

Problem is I have almost no local dealer support for them (without an hour+ drive). Could you PM me a quote for one shipped to zip: 03858 ?

Thank you!

12. merrimacmill

from MA

No, some of my prejudice is based on numbers..

Swenson 8' POLY 2 yard electric - 855 pounds.
    Swenson 8' Stainless 2 yard electric - 900 pounds.
    Poly = 45 pounds lighter.

Downeaster 8' POLY 2 yard electric - 620 pounds.
    Downeaster 8' Stainless 1.5 yard electric - 625 pounds
    Poly = 5 pounds lighter.

and for the sake of argument (since downeaster doesn't have a stainless 2yd) : Downeaster 8' Stainless 2.5 yard electric - 780 pounds

Fisher Polycaster 2.5 yard electric - 734 pounds
    Fisher ProCaster Stainless 2.5 yard - 750 pounds
    Poly = 16 pounds lighter.

I can go on and on with almost every manufacture, but I will say that your right about the Buyers. The stainless 2 yard is 1000 pounds, and the poly 2 yard is 560, a difference of 440 pounds total.. This is the most dramatic poly vs. steel weight difference I can find by far. But interestingly enough, when I compare the smaller version of the Buyers spreaders the 1.3 yard stainless is 687 pounds, and the 1.45 yard poly is 529 with only a difference of the poly being 158 pounds lighter.

And also I'm speaking from never owning a poly V box, except I have owned a poly tailgate spreader and it did warp while sitting in the summer sun all season (which is where my Vbox concern comes from).

But it is my belief that manufacturers are pushing these poly spreaders on us from their manufacturing point of view, and not the end user. Imagine how much easier it is to order up a few hundred rotationally molded poly spreader bodies (many of these manufacturers do not make the hoppers themselves) and then have a bunch of lower level factory workers bolt on all the stamped components and send it out the door, rather than having a stainless steel fabrication shop with high skill level welders and or very expensive robotic welding equipment, that no matter how the process is done will take significant labor hours to get out the door.

The other manufacturing aspect that makes me believe these people are all pushing this plastic on us is the concept of "planned obsolescence". If a poly spreader cracks, then it can be patched with bolts and steel only so many times before the hopper needs to be replaced. I'd be willing to bet that after a few times of that game, most guys would prefer to upgrade to the new model rather than have the expense and labor hours of replacing a poly hopper. For the end user this is bad, but for the manufacture it is just what they want. They sell us a "perceived value" through good marketing of having no maintenance, and in turn get to sell more spreaders over the course of ones lifetime. In comparison, when I look at a stainless spreader, I see no reason why it won't last forever. Sure, all the non-stainless and wear parts will need replacement at some point, but 80% of the unit should be good forever. If the hopper cracks or gets a hole ripped in it from a bucket, then break out the welder and a bit of plate stock. You could weld repairs on the thing for ever before it would need to be replaced. That is a horrible concept for a manufacturer though.

Thats my theory, and again I've never owned a poly V box, only a poly tailgate unit so remember who this is coming from. But then again, I'd be will to bet that no one on here really knows the durability of poly past the 15-20-25 year mark, but we all know how a stainless spreader will look at that point!

PS: And me saying that pouring windshield washer fluid over salt doesn't work was simply based on my experience of trying it. I've only had the salt freeze up 1 time (knock on wood), and I tried it pretty vigorously with no results. Although, on this particular occasion it was -10 outside..

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  13. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

How do these hold up? Especially since the brains of the unit are in the back exposed to the elements? Don't understand why they got rid of the dual motors as well. I love my RTEL and really think having the control of the auger speed is key.

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

There is way to much surface area in the conveyor type spreader for the washer fluid trick to work well, on the other hand the auger feed units funnel the fluid right where it is needed and works very well.

If you are considering an old school conveyor type spreader with the only real difference being electric instead of gas, go with whatever you like and go SS there is no real advantage to ploy. Look for a unit with dual motors they'll save you a ton on material .

But if you want to move into newer technology, look into the advantages of a poly electric auger feed system. Simpler driveline, less weight, far better material control at a good price. Check out a shpe2250 or the three yard with hopper lids, they ain't your daddy's Vbox.:waving:

15. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

They have dual motors, one for the drag chain and one for the spinner. They are holding up great so far

16. joester

joester Junior Member

We own a few of the Buyers SS Electric V-boxes. We have been very happy with them and have not had any problems. Before purchasing them, we had a Buyers poly v-box which gave us trouble. The problem was that on a wet load of salt, the auger simply drilled a hole through the salt. The vibrator did not solve the problem either. While we realize that drag chains require more maintenance, they also provide the ability to drag a wet load of material back to the spinner. Additionally, the discharge chute is detachable (not flip up). It can fit in the rear passenger area of an F250 extended cab if needed. (We rarely detach ours). We will not hesitate to purchase more of the Buyers SS electric v-boxes as needed in the future.

17. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

thanks, just ordered one. should get it next week. hopefully the install should be easy.

18. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Weird, when I looked yesterday it showed the wireless remote for all the electric pickup spreaders. So the wireless is still on the poly? And the wireless is just a single motor right?