1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buyers SS Electric v-box

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by joester, Nov 26, 2010.

1. joester

joester Junior Member

Hi guys, I'm wondering if anyone is running an electric powered v-box, specifically, a Buyers brand. I currently own a number of gas powered v-boxes, and 1 buyers salt dogg poly spreader. I'm thinking that an electric powered v-box is the best of both worlds. One dealer told me Buyers just came out with their electric version, but he doesn't like to recommend any first year products from any manufacturer.

Does anyone own or can they comment on the Buyers Stainless Steel electric powered v-box spreader?

Thanks in advance.

2. Stan

Stan Senior Member

3. snowtech

snowtech Member

joe, we bought the ss electric salt dogg at the beginning of last year. there was a lot of people saying the controllers were junk and that was my only fear. anyway we ran it all year and we are looking to replace another salter with the same thing this year. it worked awesome, and never have a spark plug foul out, never had a carb stick, never had a throttle cable break, or any of the other issues we have had with the gas spreaders. I would recammend it, we love ours. as far as being a new design i know this is not the first season for them since we have had ours for a year now. good luck

4. joester

joester Junior Member

Snowtech - Thanks for the reply. I'm happy to hear some positive feedback. Our main concern is do the electric motors stand up to the job? Are their ever any problems with them not having enough torque to get that drag chain moving when the hopper is fully loaded?

Are you going to purchase another Buyers, or a different brand? I have been quoted $4,000 from my local dealer for a Buyers, not installed.

5. Stan

Stan Senior Member

It may draw more amps with a full load. I have extensions which makes a 3 yard capacity and have not had any problems. As long as your electrical system is up to par. Currently I have single motor spreaders that work just fine. The dual motor is the way to go, one controls the conveyor, the other controls the spinner.

6. joester

joester Junior Member

Thanks Stan. From what I can tell, the Buyers run 2 separate motors like you are referring to. The truck is a 2002 F250 turbo diesel with the original electrical system, so I am assuming that should be sufficient. The only thing left that I was going to try to do was research different electric vbox manufacturers to see how their motors compare.

7. snowtech

snowtech Member

if we close the gate to low to really reduce the amount of salt being fed we had a couple of times where the belt would not continue to feed so we compensated by opening the gate a touch higher and reduced the belt speed and had no other problems. we just maked the opening gap that works best for us so all the guys know where to set it when they take off and when they return we open it all the way to speed up the unloading process. but like i said it has been great and i will purchase another salt dogg ss elec. i think they are made by buyers.

8. snowtech

snowtech Member

ours also has one motor for the chain and one for the spinner. i was considering adding sides to increase capacity, i will let you know if we do how it works. also ours has no vibrator and we have not had any issues with feeding. oh and we have an 8-10 blizzard on the front and just run one optima batt, no issues so it must not draw a huge amount of electicity.

9. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

I have a friend I do mechanic work for on weekends, he has one of the meyer SS electric spreaders on his F-550. He has had a couple of electrical problems with it but nothing major. No isues with the motors. He loves it. Says he'll never go back to a gas one.

10. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

I run all electric

I have ran all electric spreaders for six seasons now and love them. I use SnowEx spreaders and they have held up great. Check them out.

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I've been runnning electric since 1997 will never go back to gas drive.

12. msu1510

msu1510 Senior Member
    from MI

i like my buyers elec ss v box. this is only the second season for it but so far so good

13. joester

joester Junior Member

Good to hear. I ordered mine today and should have it by the end of the week. Thanks for everyone's input.

14. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Thats why we are here. How about some details on capacity, dual/single electric, price?

15. joester

joester Junior Member

Stan - I went with the Buyers stainless steel electric powered vbox, model # 1400600SS. It's listed as 1.8 cubic yard capacity. It has 2 separate electric motors. After doing a little research, I found that the spinner motor is 1/2 hp, and the conveyor motor is 3/4 hp. My dealer told me that the 1/2 hp spinner motor is exactly the same as what is used on many manufacturer's tailgate spreaders, which should mean easy replacement if necessary (hopefully not needed though). I was happy to hear about the 3/4 hp conveyor motor, because the comparable Swenson model only uses a 1/2 hp conveyor motor. I paid $3,800 cash and carry. We will install ourselves. I currently own 1 Buyers stainless steel gas powered vbox, and from the outside, they look identical. We hope to have it installed this weekend so I'll get back to you guys with more details at that time.

16. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Good deal, I'm sure it will work well.