1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

buyers spreaders

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by wideout, Dec 26, 2011.

1. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

Looking at buying a salt dogg spreader just want some feedback from the guys that are using them? any problems good? bad? Thanks for any input

2. ChiTahoe

ChiTahoe Senior Member

Which units are you looking at???? We've had no real issues with any of the ones we sold. Usually people just get bad salt around here.

3. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

Looking at the poly hopper not sure the number on out now but its the.75 yard one

4. bigearl

bigearl Senior Member

I have a tailgate TGS07 and love it you can run just about any thing through it .

5. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

I'm hoping to get my new one this Saturday as long as the guy comes and gets my western ice breaker this week. No one around here runs buyers spreaders so I'm nervous not strong them our knowing much about then but they look like nice units. The one I'm looking at is the shpe0750 polity hopper unit

6. bigearl

bigearl Senior Member

I ran probably 20 tons of salt through mine . Only had a couple of problems and they were operator error.

7. ChiTahoe

ChiTahoe Senior Member

The SHPEs are nice units, sold many of them and people really like them. There isn't much to them, as long as you're using dry salt you'll be fine.

8. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

What about sand?

9. ChiTahoe

ChiTahoe Senior Member

I don't think anyone we've sold them has used them for sand. They are rated for salt and sand though. Here is a spec sheet for them Specs

You can always call Buyers direct and talk to their tech dept. I'm sure they will be helpful.

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The SHPE units are much better with salt then sand. They are OK with a 50/50 sand mix but they are slow with straight sand. NEVER remove the to screen when loading.

11. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

I dont run sand very often just once in awhile its clean sand from ideal since thats the only place to get it. I called buyers today and talked to some guy that hardly spoke english and he said that if i run strait sand then i need to put baffels in it atleast i think thats what he said(lol). Just want to make sure if i buy this thing it will handle everything i need it to.

Im compairing it to a western tornado which does sand fine and its the same style except for it has a conveyer and the saltdogg has a auger type feeder. if anyone that has good advice could help and would rather talk please chime in or you can call 641 919 4471 thank you to everyone so far

12. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

Personally I would favor the Western. Sold a Buyers poly hopper and customer was disappointed by the lack of spread pattern. Did like the fork pockets in it though. The truck I use runs the Blizzard version of the Tornado. The hopper portion runs very well and the apron chain design is much preferred over the auger system, especially if you are running sand/salt mix. The spinner/chute ass'y is ok. The spread pattern is decent and the spinner size is much larger than the Buyers. The doors on the top of the Western are great for keeping the salt out of the truck bed if you are putting it in a pickup. We usually run the salt out of the spreader at the end of the day so we don't run a vibrator ... but I would consider it if you let the salt sit a while. The best spreaders we run are the Hiniker gas spreaders. Very fast and huge spread pattern. I would expect a Western gas spreader to be similar.

13. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

i have a questions for anyone who knows. in the main wiring harness that goes from the controller to the sander there is a brown wire that comes out where they split and the instructions say nothing about it what is it for

14. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

Chitahoe? basher? any ideas?

15. Plowfixguys

Plowfixguys Senior Member

Its an auxiliary wire you can use for a light or just about anything you want as long as it doesn't exceed the load of a #16 ga wire.

16. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

Thank you very much i wondered if thats what it was but its not even shown in the wiring diagram. I bought a nice led light to mount ont it so that will great

17. ChiTahoe

ChiTahoe Senior Member

Exactly. That LED light you got will work great with that wire.

18. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

Hey ChiTahoe have you ever had a spreader not come with a controller?

19. ChiTahoe

ChiTahoe Senior Member

Not a unit that is suppose to have one. Only the TGSUV has no controller just a on off lighter plug. Are you missing one?

20. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

Yeah it didn't have one in the box so I'm going to call cpw tomorrow to see if they will overnight one