1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buyers spreader

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by mark e, Dec 10, 2007.

1. mark e

mark e Junior Member

Bumped into a snow bank and bent the motor and shaft, looking for some help in pulling the motor and shaft out to replace. Anyone have any problems removing the motor or could give me some help on removing it. Have taken out the set screw and pin, dont see anything else holding it in, except how its bent? thx mark.

2. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

If its only ''bent'' and still works and sounds ok leave it alone. I wacked mine and it now spreads uniquley . Does the job. Mine costs 450 to replace spinner only. Its part of the motor/ trans. Sort of like wacking a new ford mirror. Stop and pick up the long grommett inserts so you only need the mirror .. or pay moocho..... especially with heated and led signals.

3. mark e

mark e Junior Member

Thx 92XT, It does not work at all, its going to need a new motor and shaft, any ideas on how to drop the motor with the bent shaft?

4. bigearl

bigearl Senior Member

Cut the shaft ?

Cut it just below the spinner the motor is junk anyways. The you can take the set screw and then the key way out SAVE THE KEY WAY I bought a new motor and lost the key way had to use the old one

5. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

grind the 4 nut/bolts right off.

6. mark e

mark e Junior Member

Thx BigEarl, what did you use to cut the shaft, and what kind of motor did you replace it with?

7. bigearl

bigearl Senior Member

I used the indoor chain saw ( sawzaw ) I found a replacement motor on ebay for around 85 bucks plus shipping Hope this helps. What was in the snow bank that bent the shaft. Last year I backed into a pillar @ the church I plowed that bet mine. I have to take some pictures of what I did to keep the salt from getting to the motor. Hopefully I will Take Some Tomorrow.

Big Earl

8. mark e

mark e Junior Member

Im not sure what I hit, either the pile of snow from the city froze up, or the lanscaping under the pile? I will try the sawzall later this week and see if I can get the shaft out so I can replace the motor. thx. if you have some pics plz send them to mewen@werner.com

9. bigearl

bigearl Senior Member

Can Do I'll take them tomorrow when it's not raining was going to do it today but I got lazy!

10. mark e

mark e Junior Member

I will keep an eye on for them, heading back out to clean up this last storm.

11. bigearl

bigearl Senior Member

Here's the pictures

buyers salter 001.jpg

buyers salter 002.jpg

buyers salter 003.jpg

The one with the light is so morons see me
    The one with the spinner is a piece of inner tube so salt doesn't lay underneath spinner and then get to the motor.
    the last one is a piece of inner tube made into a boot to protect the motor and connections securely fastened with a zip tie.

buyers salter 001.jpg

buyers salter 002.jpg

buyers salter 003.jpg

12. PPMan

PPMan Member
    from Va.

Good idea to protect the motor, will have to dig out an inner tube:nod:

13. steve in Pa.

steve in Pa. Member
    from Pa.

replace with a myers spreader motor. cheaper then buyers seems to last longer too. was going through motors one a year. If you take it off get a hole cut into the metal frame so you can detach the spinner and drop the motor right down, much easier to work on..:drinkup:

14. mark e

mark e Junior Member

Im back up and running, thx for the help guys. Already working on a couple of bars to weld to the frame to give the motor some protection, a guy I plow with made a set for his spreader, mine is next. thx again.