1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buyer's Spreader - salt and sand?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by frogman, Jan 9, 2001.

1. frogman

frogman Member
    from MD

Have any of you guys ever tried to use a salt/sand mix in a Buyer's-type spreader. Will it work?
    Bob

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I dont think the results will be worth your efforts,the buyers packs up easy,even with salt only,ig its left in there for any lenth of time during a storm.I think in order to run sand it would have to be totally dry feed in by a helper as you drive so it doesnt bridge and load up.

3. frogman

frogman Member
    from MD

Thanks John, I appreciate your insight. I'm sitting on a couple ton of salt, which should be enough for what I've got to do and where I'm at. I'd like to figure out some alternatives in the event that I need to stretch with the rationing potential.
    Bob

4. RB

RB Senior Member

John was right on with his comments. I tried what you are talkign about. I needed a person in the back with a broom stick moving it around (dangerous).

I have heard of some folks that will put a vibrator on their buyer spreader. That may be an alternative???

Did anyoen ever put a vibrator on their meyer/buyer spreader? Did it help? Do they make a stock vibrator for that model??