1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buyers Spreader Ratio Sand/Salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Bowtieguy, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Bowtieguy

Bowtieguy Member
    from CT

Does anybody use a Hitch spreader with a salt/ sand mix? I have a Buyers (smallest one) and i want to mix sand and icemelt..not salt. I was thinking 60/40 sand/icemelt. I am thinking that the moisture in the sand will make it a block and unspreadable. I would like to avoid getting a vibrator if i dont need to.
    Thx!

2. ppease

ppease Member
    from Maine

I have a Fisher Polycaster. I mixed mine about 4 sand 1 salt. It has worked fine so far, although we havn't had any really cold weather yet. My friend has been mixing this way for years.

3. Bowtieguy

Bowtieguy Member
    from CT

Thx..i'll try that ratio and see how it works.

4. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

icemelt

be careful if that ice melt is to small in will just fly through that spreader !

5. Bowtieguy

Bowtieguy Member
    from CT

Any recommendation as to what should be used in the Buyers spreader? This is my first season using it. I was going to load it with a sand/and a de-ice mix.

6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

The factory Does NOT recommend sand in that spreader. It will jam it up. I was going to buy one but called the factory and they said "no sand". just #1 salt

7. Bowtieguy

Bowtieguy Member
    from CT

Thx Hydro_37... I just bought this spreader used. This will be the first season with it. I guess it's time to start experimenting and or modifying!

8. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

The Snowex 1875 W/ Vibrator Will Spread Wet Salt , Sand And Cinder .....i Had Some 2b Mixed In The Salt Last Year And It Spit It Right Out.