1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buyers spreader problem.

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Pennings Garden, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Pennings Garden

Pennings Garden Senior Member
    from VA

I just got my new buyers 9cu feet spreader in a few days ago, I made a great frame to hang it of the back of my truck and installed it today. After i filled it half way with magic salt I wanted to see how it spread, well it didn't! there was a very, very small amount of salt coming out, OK, maybe the magic salt it to wet or something, So I take all the salt out again and put a couple of 20# bags of bone dry #1 rock salt in, again same problem. A little more is coming out but not even close to enough, It would take me at least an hour and a half of spreading to empty a half a hopper. Any suggestions??

2. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

get a vibrator

3. Pennings Garden

from VA

The rock salt was bone dry and did not have a problem like clumping or anything. Is there a way to dose the amount salt that I missed??

4. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

Mine is finicky with anything wet or if someone leaves the lid off and snow gets inside. Had my guys fill it up yesterday and they didn't bother to look inside...snow and leaves. Does the top of the auger have a few inches of bent (v) bar stock. You should not need a vibrator. Also, you might want to wash out and make sure it is thoughly dry and try again with dry salt first.

5. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

Turn it up to 9 and leave it there. The amount that comes out is proportionate to the speed of the auger. I cant imagine anything else would be going on as long as we are dry and the product is flowing down to the auger. Even dry mine (same spreader) needs a bump now and then as the salt doesn't slide down and you get that hollowed out area around the auger.

Mine also stalls the motor here and there when it gets too much or a chunk.

6. Pennings Garden

from VA

How long does it take you, at 9 (full speed), to empty a full hopper?

7. GL&M

GL&M Senior Member
    from PA

Make sure its spinning counter-clockwise. If it's not it won't spread. All you need to do is reverse the wires on the motor if its spinning the wrong direction.

8. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

At 9 I can empty a full hopper in 5-10mins. It spreads pretty fast so gotta drive to keep up with it. My motor will not run backwards. Don't forget as you are driving the hopper is moving and bounces around helping the salt slide down.

9. Pennings Garden

from VA

Buyers must have wired the motor wrong, it was spinning the wrong way. I put my positive on the negative and negative on positive and its spreading just fine!

Thanks to all that helped!:salute:

10. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

How long? Hmmmm 15 minutes?

11. jwwieberg

jwwieberg Junior Member

My was wired backward also. This was about 4 years ago. Some one should email them.