1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buyers Spreader Motor

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BRIMOW525, Nov 18, 2002.

1. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

I have a Buyers spreader and wanted to take the electric motor off to service it. The terminals broke off as I was lossening the bolts for the positive and negative termnals. So now it HAS to come off. I took off 4 bolts that hold the motor on and cannot get the motor loose from the auger. I looked to see if there was a cotter pin or something through the shaft but there was nothing. I imagine that it is a keyed shaft that is probably rusted bad. I have been spraying the shaft with penitrating lube for 2 days now and still cannot get it loose. I think I might try heat next . Any suggestions?
  2. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Motor Removal

BRIMOW525: You are going about it the right way, get your torch and heat the hub of the spinner and where the auger goes over the shaft of the motor. Some times two large wooden wedges can be carefully pounded in between the motor or the spreaders frame work when you apply heat, with luck it will start to move. Other wise cut the shaft of the motor as close to the housing as you can and then remove everything from the spreader. You then can deceide if you want to replace everything or try and drive the shaft out of the hub of the spinner and drill out the auger and only replace the motor. I think that I may still have a universal replacement motor; spinner; auger kit left. E-mail me if you need more info.:rolleyes: John
  3. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

Thanks Garage. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going crazy. I'm going to soak it this morning again and then try it tonight after work.
  4. landman

landman Senior Member
    from NJ

did you loosen and remove the hex head set screw in the bottom of the auger that goes in shaft to the motor?
  5. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

hex screw

Hey landman, I did not remove that. I did notice after some cleaning that there is a hole on the side of the auger shaft. I did not realize that there was ascrew there. I have been beating and cursing the thing for a week now. I'll have to go and see if it is in there and can be removed. Thanks
  6. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Plan on drilling out the allen screw as it won't come out most of the time. To make sure they do come out next time, I take out & put anti-sez on all screws,shaft,drift pin,bolts on the salter twice @ & every year :waving: Most of the time the allen screw will round out so you can just drill it out. Good luck:drinkup: