1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buyers Spreader Control problem

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by rednekk frank, Jan 12, 2009.

1. rednekk frank

rednekk frank Member

I just purchased a gently used Buyers SUV salt spreader. The previous owner was nice enough to label the wiring harness for me. Unfortunately, he did so incorrectly - switching the lead which goes to the battery and the lead that goes back to the spreader motor. I hooked it up as he instructed, and the control box simply read "standby", regardless of whether or not it was switched on. I called him to ask if he knew what the problem was, and he indicated that he may have labeled the wires incorrectly, and that I should switch them.

I switched the wires around, and now I have power to the control box, but there is no power going out to the spreader. I'm getting an error message which states "motor stalled". If it hook the lead which goes to the spreader directly to a 12V source, the motor spins, so I know the motor and that lead are both good. A tester hooked to the output of the control box reads 0V, so I'm sure the problem is in the control.

Does anyone know if this is something which could be repaired? I'm hoping for something as simple as an internal fuse which can be replaced. Any input on this will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.