1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buyers speader prob

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Little Jay, Nov 25, 2003.

1. Little Jay

Little Jay Senior Member

We have an inexpesive Buyers spreader. It works/worked good enough for us. During the off season we took it off the flatbed, did some repairs to the truck, and re-attatched it. The spreader is just a 600 lb tailgate style with the motor mounted on the hopper and the control unit inside the truck.
    Last night we realized that the motor is spinning the wrong direction. The motor only has two connections: one positive and one ground. I figured the polarity was switched and reversed the two wires going to the motor: the motor didnt work.
    My question is to anyone who is familiar with these Buyers control units..
    Four wires coming out of the box;
    1)red
    2)orange
    3)black
    4)not a wire but an electrical connection (i opened the box and ran a wire out to forgo the connection)
    So the black is a ground,one wire is from the battery to the unit,another is from the unit to the motor, and the last is a switched power from the fuse box to the unit.
    Anybody know which is which ? I had it right before an it isnt that hard to diagnose but all my combinations have failed.

2. Bob Church

Bob Church Member

Buyers Products Controller

Before you do anything else with the controller you should call Buyers Products and get technical assistance. If you don't, you run the risk of damaging your controller. Buyers number is 440-974-7766. Tell the person that answers the phone what your problem is and let them direct you to the right person.

3. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

if its running back wards
    i would think you need to switch the motor wires
    maybe when you did the connection wasnt good?
    john

4. Bob Church

Bob Church Member

Some electronic controllers have reverse polarity protection and some don't. Reversing wires that come from the battery to the controller could burn out the controller in an instant. Generally speaking, the controller, motor, auger, spinner size, wiring harness and even the type of bolt that holds the auger to the spinner shaft are part of a complete system. Randomly changing any of the components without consulting the engineer that designed the system is risky and could lead to solutions or bigger problems. Call Chris Justis at Buyers Products and tell him what's going on. It won't cost you anything to ask.

5. Boots_R_On

Boots_R_On Junior Member

Cardoctor to the rescue . SWITCH the MOTOR wires. It should fly.

6. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Read his post, he did switch the motor wires.....I would call the factory !!!:eek: :eek: