1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

buyers salt spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by gkm, Aug 9, 2009.

1. gkm

gkm Senior Member

who is using buyers salt spreader ...tailgate? any good?

2. tinffx

tinffx Member

I got a TGS05B last week. The thing is brand new & i scored it for $600 with the hitch mount, harness & controller. It is huge & looks like it would hold about 850lbs of material. I have yet to spread anything as of yet. I have worked with a lot of different spreaders and they all broke at one time or another.

I was wondering what I could run through the thing. Does bulk do ok? I figure I am going to be spreading other people's salt for the most part and I will be feeding the hopper from a bin in my bed.

3. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

Do not use bulk or you will be cussing this thing to no end. You need to use bagged salt that is dry when you put it in there.

4. tinffx

tinffx Member

Thats good to know. I'm a little disappointed that it doesn't run bulk but I guess I am not too worried about it.

Is there any way to get a stronger motor into the unit to improve its performance with less consistant materials?

5. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

if you are going to run bulk though a tailgate spreader like this you are going to have to spend some decent cash for a two motor unit like a western pro flo or fishers similar unit. I have ran buyers tailgates for over 10 years and they are good units, but they are made for dry bagged salt. You can put a vibrartor on there and it will help some, but they still get clogged up and you have get out and give it a kick or poke a stick down there. good luck on your search.

6. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

Not without making some serious modifications to it. Besides that, you also will void your warranty. I would think that maybe the best thing to do would be to have seperate motors for the auger and spinner but, then again, your talking serious modifications.