1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buyers salt spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by chevy2500meyer, Feb 8, 2011.

1. chevy2500meyer

chevy2500meyer Member

Im posting this to see if anyone has and pictures of the "wintergate" swing away mounting system. I am looking at purchasing a spreader with this mount and was hopein to seem how some of you guys have mounted them. I have seen the seen where you have to drill into the bumper, trying to make the installment without drilling anything.

2. PrimoSR

PrimoSR Senior Member

I second this motion. I have tried searching but haven't found much.

3. cwby_ram

cwby_ram Senior Member

Not familiar with "wintergate", but I've got a big old buyers that's on a swing-away mount. Is that what you guys mean? I had to drill about 4 holes in my bumper for the plates that it rides on. I don't see any easy way around that unless you could make a bracket that bolted back behind the bumper somehow. That would have to be awfully sturdy though, if it's like my spreader that thing gets HEAVY when it's full!

4. PrimoSR

PrimoSR Senior Member

5. cwby_ram

cwby_ram Senior Member

Ok, mine's the older version of that, but I imagine the mounts work the same. Access is no problem, it just swings away. I've been curious about towing with it on the truck, but haven't tried yet. If you have a skid loader with forks it goes on and off pretty easy, just pull a bolt or two and two pins. I put mine on the truck myself that way two years now. It's a bear to handle for even two guys though.

You could get really creative and fab up your own mount to get it out of the way. Could be interesting!

6. PrimoSR

PrimoSR Senior Member

How does yours work? This is still the one I think I am going to buy. Do you have any pics of yours?

7. cwby_ram

cwby_ram Senior Member

It works well enough. It's old and rusty now, so it sags when it's opened. You gotta kind of lift and close. Better than the hitch thing though. I'll try to get some pics when I get it out. Might be awhile, I've been trying for a couple months now to get the stuff out, but the grass won't quit enough to do it.

8. PrimoSR

PrimoSR Senior Member

Stupid question here, but will this spread a 50/50 bagged blend?

9. cwby_ram

cwby_ram Senior Member

Mine spreads it just fine. Rock salt, blended stuff, all bagged. Some of the blended stuff we put through it was pretty fine, but it spread it no problems. Always load on-site though, as it'll trickle out going down the road.