1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buyers Salt spreader, OK last question about my set up

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Johnny V, Mar 23, 2004.

1. Johnny V

Johnny V Member

OK I know i have been driving all of you crazy with question but I am just trying to set my brand new truck (2004 1 ton Ram quad cab) up right.....

OK thank you everyone that helped me decide on the 8.5' plow! I think the $2800 for a Hiniker is the best deal I will find.

Now the salter. Looking at a few options and finding Buyers to be the best 'bang for the buck', or so it seams. Can ANYONE give me ANY thoughts on this link ???

My work is mainly small lots that I take care of personally and my driveway. NOTHING professional and the job is not big (2-3 lots 10-20 parking spaces each. The thing that is freaking me out is Northern has the right price just not much info. I have done a detailed search of the net and can not come up with a home web page for "Buyers".....

I know I want in cab controls, real wiring, about a 20-30 ft wide spread, hitch mounted, light enought to get on and off quick and BY MYSELF, and variable spead control. Also I plan to use just bagged salts from places liek Home Depot etc. can not find any places around me that sell the treated stuff you talk about. The lots do not have to be "perfect" like you guys would leave them.

Thoughts/help? The price is right, the shipping is only $40, less then I would pay in tax here. The other options around this area are around $1k plus tax.

Snow EX salt spreader, simply the best!!!!
  3. Johnny V

Johnny V Member

I would guess that is your vote for my other option at a local shop of a:

SP575 Trynex SS - 5.75 Cu Ft - 5.75 cu. ft. capacity (approx. 350 lbs). Comes standard with 2" Receiver Mount and Variable Speed Control

For $1,080 ????

OK yeah I know this is good but is the Buyers "OK" for a local non-professional guy, and is it worth me saving the $400???

Thanks again. This board's advice IS the deciding factor on what I purchase in the next week.

My guy sells them for 995 complete! That is the 575, let me tell you, commercially or just residental, its worth it.

I had a buyers and I wouldnt use it for a boat anchor!
  5. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

I have a Buyers suvPro, 300#, used all winter, no problems. The price is right! In cab controls, 30' spread. Can put on and take off by myself.
  6. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Buyers has major motor problems. The design allows moisture and salt to destroy motor shaft seal, then the bearing and magnets. Plan on replacing the motor every season, unless you disassemble it after each use to clean.
    I too like the sp575 for my trucks. This season we used approx 1 3/4 skids per storm...Chuck

I hear ya on the motor problems, thats what happened to me!
  8. Johnny V

Johnny V Member

Thanks I appreciate the heads up. My guy here claims $995 is the "after season price" and the $1080 I posted counts tax.

OK you and others have made their point. Do you use the 575? Is it easy to get on and off by yourself?

Thank everyone. Any tricks about hooking up the salters or what mods I should do when installing?
  9. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

Johnny V ,are you a company or just someone who does this on the side.Why i ask is you said your driveways dont have to be perfect like us guys would leave them.i guess i can't figure how exactly you leave these driveways if someone is paying you..
  10. TreffertLawnWrx

TreffertLawnWrx Senior Member

I'm going to be purchasing a new boss smarthitch spreader! i bet you could get a great combo deal with a 8.5 Boss.
  11. Johnny V

Johnny V Member

Good question and it is an interesting answer. The reason I am not going for all "pro" equipment is because the plowing I do is mainly for "me". You see I have personal interest in the apartment building doing well but do not outright own them.

This past year they we started buying buildings. The ones we did buy had crappy snow services that often did not plow or just salted. So as I learn to plow (next season) I not have to worry about the residents complaining as most of the time no one plowed the lot under the old owners.

So the reason it does not have to be "perfect" is because I am the plower and I am the guy that takes care of the building 100%. The reason I am shoping for a plow and salter is because we are trying to be a "full service" company that takes care off all our apartment needs. Currently I do ALL the Maintenance so this is just a winter "Maintenance" project I guess.....

So looking for good stuff but this is just a side job so not looking to spend as much.....
  12. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Can the large Buyers motor be replaced with a different motor? Could you put a shield over it to protect it? I know that the Buyers motor that is about the size of a pop can will only last 1 or 2 times of use, but the larger motor seems to be ok. What's your thoughts.
  13. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Buyers has got a bad rap because of the 1 unit that they sell with the small motor. It's their own fault, and I think that they know about the problem. I would think that you would have a problem with any salter that the motor is exposed. Why couldn't you fabricate a shield to go over the top of the motor, so that the salt wouldn't get to the motor shaft? I think that any of this equipement that the motor is out in the elements you are going to have problems with. I mean look at the posts from just this year, and how many plow motors have had to be replaced? Plow motors only appear to last 1-2 years if you are lucky. Granted, there may be better designs than the Buyers, but there has to be some way to protect the Buyers motor. If you can do this for a reasonable price, then for the money you can't beat the Buyers. Remember, you get what you pay for. Not everybody has a $70,000 a year salt business. I mean the best suv type vehicle on the road is probably the Hummer 1, however not everybody can afford $50-70,000 for a vehicle, that is why they make Chevy's, Dodges and Fords. A Rolex watch is the best, but that is why you can buy a Seiko or a Timex, also. It depends on what your budget and needs are. You are right, a SnowEx is a heck of a spreader, if you have the money to buy one, or if you want to spend the money to buy one.
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2004
  14. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

:dizzy:" Plow motors only appear to last 1-2 years if you are lucky "
    Well I guess I must have a horseshoe up my arse because the motors on all three of my unimounts are original and work fine. One of them is over 6 years old and works like any new one. With over 54 company trucks we have not replaced one motor this season.
  15. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

Actually one of them is 8 years old
  16. North Country

North Country Senior Member

Johnny V Hello -

We were looking into the Buyers hopper spreaders this year and will most likely purchase the first one this season. Yes they are a good bang for the buck unit. But the smaller units are only good for bagged product that is absolutely dry. If you had a two stage spreader you could use bulk product at a substantial savings.

Click here for Buyers spreader page, you can also arrange your own shipping for larger units and save more $. - michael
  17. Johnny V

Johnny V Member

North Country:

Thank you I appreciate the web page link. Have been looking for that for a while now.

I see what you are saying but I need a a simple hitch mount spreader. I was looking at the Buyers TGSUVPROA as it is the "Pro one" for SUVs but will be on my 1 ton pickup. The reason I am looking at this is it is light, does a 30 ft path (more then plenty), hitch mounted and I can get it on and off quick and easy.

My lots are very simple so no matter what I will do bagged salt when I see it on sale around town. Also seeing what you say I will be sure to make sure the salt in not clumpy etc befre buying it.

I am guessing it is also smart to "beat the bag" a bit with a broom handle to make sure all the pieces are small enough?????

Damn now I am back to confused.... Save $300 and get the buyers hitch mount, or play it safe and spend the $1100 and get the Trynex.... Both same size etc the only difference is the brand.

Lastly most people have said that the buyers have uncovered motors etc. This may have changed as this pro model has a sealed covered motor..... That was one of the big complains right?

OK any more thoughts??? The reason I am trying to save the cash is because if I was plowing this winter I would have used a spreader maybe 5 times!!!
  18. North Country

North Country Senior Member

Johnny V -

Call Buyers up and address the concerns that you have with the spreader. Ask them detailed warranty questions so that you have taken care of all that before anything ever happens (Hopefully it won't)

Buyers has been extremely helpful on the phone with us answering multiple questions and we still haven't bought from them yet. I guess they see the time as an investment.

Just a word of warning - One of our subs owns a 300# model has the clogging problem and loses product out of the spreader while they drive! (It wouldn't hurt to ask about that either!)

I think that maybe they are trying to hit a price point that is too low to put out a professional piece of equipment.
    Good Luck! - michael
  19. rainair

rainair Senior Member

my 2c worth.... I went thru 4 motors from buyers' if you have the suv unit trade it up for the bigger motor their cost !!!
  20. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I would not go with a Hiniker but that is for another discussion. Do a search on Hinikers, so real bad experiences in the past.

I would spend the money and get a Western / Fisher two stage tailgate. They have a little belt which evenly feeds material. The best IMO unless you are going to get a V-box.