1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buyers salt dogg clutch not engaging

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by datank450, Jan 11, 2014.

1. datank450

datank450 Senior Member

My salt spreader worked fine until I cleaned my truck today. I didn't really get to clean the box, I turned it on to clean the conveyor, and that's when I realized the clutch not engaging and blowing fuses. It starts up fine but when I engage the clutch it blows the fuse. What could my problem be?

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Clutch. Or wiring. My bet is clutch went south

3. datank450

datank450 Senior Member

Is that what happens when the clutch goes bad? When I hit the button to engage, it lights up like its engaged but it blows a fuse. Could it be in the controller?

4. dieselss

Doubt it. Try unplugging the clutch, then hit the button and see if it blows the fuse

5. datank450

datank450 Senior Member

I think it's wiring. I just went out and started it again, engaged the clutch, everything worked until it blew the controller box fuse.

6. datank450

datank450 Senior Member

I was just looking for the connection for the clutch, couldn't find it so I disconnected a ground wire and the clutch engaged and worked nicely, the only thing is the the light for the spreader didn't kick on. As soon as I reconnected it blew the fuse in the controller again. Maybe the problem is in the controller.

7. dieselss

Or the light is bad.

8. datank450

datank450 Senior Member

Yeah buddy, I think your right. I was just figuring what wires go to what and I pulled the wire for the light. It seems like the light is bad.

9. dieselss

Well good deal. That's why I was never a fan of wiring anything into the clutch circuit.