1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

buyers salt dogg 2250- help

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by nepatsfan, Dec 8, 2013.

1. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

I have a brand new buyers salt dogg 2250. Hasn't had any material go through it yet. It worked fine when it was installed, tested it on Friday with the threat of snow- worked fine. Tonight we have a storm coming and the power light is blinking and auger and spinner wont work, vibrator does.

I did a search and saw issues with the old controllers but I assume this is the new corrected one. Don't see any fuses blown inside the box etc. it gets power.

Any ideas? Anyone else have this happen

2. underESTIMATED

underESTIMATED Senior Member

Sounds like the typical bad controller go bad, or check the connection from the spreader side to the truck side.

That happened to mine last year as well, but was in the middle of a storm when it happen.

Check the grounds and dielectric grease them again.

3. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

Do you have the massive controller non digital kind? Looks like a airplane black box? I had issues as well. Shovled all two yards out thinking it was jammed up. Sounds like a controller issue. I bough a spare. I was told the connections are not the best that they use and wire size should be bigger. Bob from karrier co has a update for these but its not cheap.

Make sure the wires snap in to there connectors. Its a bit of a stupid spot to put those connectors to the motor on the hopper. Like the grease fitting for the baring you need to pull the cover off in order to grease it. Meaning you need to lift hopper out of the truck. I turned the bearing 180 and added a grease hose and nipple and I can reach it now from driver side.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  4. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

Double checked/triple checked all connections and dielectric grease on every connection. it actually came on for a split second and nothing. I cleaned everything including the battery terminal ones and big connecter inside the truck and grease on all of them...nothing yet. this blows, storm coming in a few hours- looks like we'll be shoveling salt off. I haven't even put salt through it yet! It did work when we hooked it up.

5. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

and you're right that grease fitting is ridiculous and the screws are in plastic....how long till they strip out taking that cover off to grease? They came dry from the factory too

6. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

by pass the controller and wire a momentary push switch and see how that works

7. Showmestaterida

Showmestaterida Senior Member

I thought these were suppose to be the upgraded version of the 2000. What kind of controller is it using? That sucks that there having problems already. Double check all connections as stated earlier.

8. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

Just loaded up another truck with salt and shovels. Waiting for 1 of my guys to get here to go salt with me. Pretty much convinced it's the controller. Anyone looking at these pieces of sh$t, think about this. I bought a brand new spreader and I'm going out to salt by hand. Unreal. Worked perfectly when it was installed. I should have just paid the few extra bucks and gone with a fisher. Live and learn...... How much did I save?!

9. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

FYI a couple people asked about the controller. It's black, has a power switch, a vibrator switch, a spinner dial and auger dial