1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buyers replacement motor question

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by snowdays, Jan 24, 2010.

1. snowdays

snowdays Senior Member
    from Ohio

I have the basic TGSUV1B spreader. It is the 330 lb unit I believe. I need a new motor but have noticed that the motor for my single speed unit is more than the one for the variable speed unit. Can I replace with the variable speed motor and add a controller later? Are the bolt patterns the same? Anyone done this?
  2. dforbes

dforbes Senior Member

I havn't done this but I would bet the bolt holes are the same. The only down side i could see would be if the motor turns much faster and you are throwing a 30' pattern all the time. The motor should work with your switch though.
  3. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

you should be fine as far as everything fitting
  4. overdhill1

overdhill1 Junior Member

Is it the tail gate spreader?

If it is one of their tailgate spreaders, I was told the same motor is used on all their spreaders up to and including their 6 Cu Ft. I usually buy two per year, due to railroad tie walls. They are just under $200 and the controller can easily be added on. It will pay itself off quick, because right now, I am spreading salt on a 8 acre lot with the control set at 1, and you can get by with a fraction of the salt.