1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buyers motor upgrade question

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by PTTP08, Dec 18, 2012.

1. PTTP08

PTTP08 Senior Member
    from mn

I have a SUV salt spreader and the motor went out this morning I was going to install a motor and auger kit. The original is the small 1/8 motor and has no auger system and the flow is contolled by a plate you slide over the hole kinda of stupid design but it works and there is no control box just power and an on off switch. My question is this can I buy the bigger motor and auger kit and just run the on off control or do I need to buy a control box as well? I won't be able to use the flow control as the auger will be in the way but I guess that would be ok more salt the better HAHA. I dont want to spend alot of money on this project but I seen an auger kit for 250.00.
  2. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

Not sure which motor you're referencing but we have 2 TGS05 models (800lb tailgate spreaders) and we don't use the controllers. I use a 12v switch to power the motor and a separate switch for the vibrator (not standard, we added them.) I don't know if the motors are the same but as long as it fits (bolts up, aligns with the spinner, etc) it should be fine.