1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buyers lights

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Diesel_brad, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Diesel_brad

Diesel_brad Senior Member

I just got a pair of Buyers new lights # 1311100. They look like the ones that Buyer's uses on their snow dog plows. I have 3 questions.

1. On my unimount I only have 1 hole to mount the lights. the new buyers lights have 2 bolts for mounting. Do you think i can just use 1 of the mounting bolts? Or do you think that they will vibrate them selves to death? If someone has mounted them on a unimount, do you have pictures?

2. How bright are these lights? I should of asked before i bought them but the price was right and my old lights were shot.

3. If you have them, how did you splice them to the unimount harness? I was thinking about making all my splices up in the light but dont know if there is enough room. My next thought was to shorten the unimount harness(at the lights) and wire in a piece of the Buyers harness with a short pigtail to use the Buyers plug. Or should I just hard wire the lights outside the lights?

I have had the plow for over 3 months and i finally have some time to work on it

thanks, Brad

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Brad,
    I originally had the lights installed on my unimount, but built a custom light tower for them. You can do the same, or there is an adapter available from Western. I made all of my splices inside the light housing. They are brighter than the sealed beam lights on the Unimounts, but I still upgraded mine to HID.

[​IMG]

Light Extension Kit:
    http://library.westernplows.com/pdf/28342.00_100105.pdf

3. Diesel_brad

Diesel_brad Senior Member

Any idea on how much those brackets are? they are very nice but i am sure western is quite proud of them

4. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

what kind of metal and thickness did you use to make the tower?

5. EKennett

EKennett Junior Member

I put the Buyer's lights on my Uni-mount at the beginning of this season. To answer your questions:

1) You can use just the mounting bolt between the high and low beams to attach the housings to the plow frame. If you look at the directions that come with the lights they say that this is ok. I haven't experienced any vibrations.

2) Much brighter than the old ones. You won't be diappointed.

3) I cut the original lights right off the Western harness and then cut the end of the new harness from the new lights. I spliced the two harnesses together outside of the light housing. This way I still have the Weatherpack connection if I want to take the lights off the frame for any reason. It's 5 wires on each side, you can just find the schematics online and make the proper connections.

Good luck and enjoy seeing at night.