1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buyers Hitch Monut Spreader

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by MB3, Dec 3, 2008.

1. MB3

MB3 Senior Member

I went to hook up my Salt Spreader this morning, and I have all the wires hooked up the way they were last year, and the motor will not turn, the box in the cab says to check the motor, and I have, I have even re-ground the ground wire. Is there anyway just to check the motor? I do have power back to the motor, but am looking for a easy way just to check the morot is not bad. Thanks

2. timberseal

timberseal Senior Member
    from 46385

If you have power to the motor and its not turning the motor is bad or something is in a bind not allowing it to turn. This assuming you have a good ground of coarse.

3. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

no go

:salute:definitely check to make sure the auger is not making contact withe the hopper,and no chunk's are stuck in it .make sure there is good 12 volts power going to the motor and the ground is good they have had problems at the red black double plug loosing contact inside the moulded plug sometimes .

4. MB3

MB3 Senior Member

That is what I will be checking on, I do not have anything blocking the auger, I can spin in by hand, but I do not think I have power going to the motor. Thanks for the responces, I will let you know what I find out later today.

5. MB3

MB3 Senior Member

Thanks for the help

Thanks for all those who wrote me back. I had the spreader all hooked, up and started out fresh. I had very few volts at the spreader - looked for a short - found nothing, took off the ground at the spreader, sanded it down - still nothing, about 10 minutes of crawing under the truck looking for a cut in the wire, climbed into the cab, and started checking all the wiring. Screen said check motor, come to find out, it was the blue wire on the right, that was not seated right, must have moved during the summer, and when that was put back in, the spreader started spinning, I added some slack on the ground. Hope it does not happen when I really need it. Thanks for all the replies.