1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

buyers help

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by haulerman, Mar 29, 2010.

1. haulerman

haulerman Junior Member

Just picked up my first spreader today, and i need help !! picked it up real cheap and need some info from you fine gentelman. like model number- do i need a controler or can i run a on off switch-where to get parts. any help much apprecated.

2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

You should be able to run it off a switch with out any problems. The disadvantage is it will always be running on high speed. In 6 years of having my tailgate spreaders, I have never ran it on high. If your going to just run a switch, make sure you get a heavy 30 amp switch, and size the wire correctly.
  3. haulerman

haulerman Junior Member

thanks for the help. never needed a tailgate spreader because i always had my son to push the old walk behind !!! but he thinks he wants to go on his own ( darn my luck but good for him) and this fat boy aint walking !!!!!!!!! lol
  4. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Those are great salters. And yes you can run just a switch or run a switch to a relay under the hood. Replacement motors are about 50 bucks in the off season get one you will need it that is the only thing that needs to be replaced.I have had that Meyer type for over 30 years and still runs strong but you have to sand blast them and repaint them every year if you going to keep it running or it will just rust away. Now it depends on how much salt you apply. Out of all my trucks I only have 1 controller to reduce the speed we try to put down as much as quick as possible. On the Meyers a full load it runs out in less than 5 min so I can run out of product in 20 min so have plenty of product to apply .

100_2602 (Medium).JPG
  5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The model number is TGS01
  6. haulerman

haulerman Junior Member

Thanks for the input , been looking for awhile for a spreader and finally decided to bite the bullet and luckly i got this one for only 50 bucks so i didnt figure i could go to wrong with it. and by the way i love this site you guys give great advice and plenty of help !!!!!!!!!
  7. pvtben121

pvtben121 Senior Member

we had 4 of these and haulerman is right. The only thing that goes bad on them is the motors.
    Mill Supply sells parts they are located in cleveland oh. There website is Discountsnowplowparts.com
  8. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

way to steal my quote and give credit to clark buddy! get your facts straight!!!!!!! I posted the v plows are for guys who don't know how to plow!!!!
  9. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Giving credit where credit is due :salute:
  10. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

you can get used controllers on e-bay fairly cheap, make sure you electrical connections are well sealed from the salt/snow spray
  11. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

Good Man! :drinkup:
  12. chunky

chunky Junior Member

u can buy the buyer controls from angelo's the switch will work but u can burn the motor up if u get a jam or just bring alot of fuses i would buy the controler